A New SteerPlanet Partnership - and a special offer through the end of the year!

Help Support Steer Planet:

JoeBnTN

We’re pleased to announce the sale of ½ interest and possession in our Hillside Leader bull to Justintime and Horseshoe Creek Farms, Weyburn, Sask.  Grant and I are really excited about the tremendous potential this young bull has to offer and appreciate all the comments and observations many of you have made as he’s developed.  He represents a true outcross to most popular Shorthorns today, yet his pedigree contains some of the most predictable, consistent genetics in the breed, including the National Champion “Tex”, the great Missie 709 cow, Gizmo, and Eagle 148.  We believe that in addition to tremendous calving ease, he will be a consistent sire of high quality, performance focused cattle with great structure and soundness.  We’ve already used him with success and look forward to his future in both Canada and the US.

Because so many of you have asked about him and followed his development, Grant and I have agreed to offer a SteerPlanet special for semen purchased between now and the end of the year.  All semen will be discounted $5 per straw (minimum order of 5 straws), but you have to mention the SteerPlanet special.  Full details on semen sales are available on the classified site.

I’ve included a picture from this summer to give you some idea of how he continues to develop, but I can honestly say he looks better today than he did when we took these photos last summer.

Again, thanks for all the kind comments over the past year – we’re very please with Leader and extremely excited to have Grant and Horseshoe Creek as a partner!

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1927-sm.JPG
    IMG_1927-sm.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 245

cowz

GO SHORTY GANG!  Nice bull...good job! <cowboy>

oakbar

Are you sure you want to get hooked up with that crazy Canadian??  Be careful, he's a wily one!!  Ha, Ha!!

Seriously--Congratulations--- your bull looks excellent!!    I haven't really studied him or his pedigree for a while so I'll have to do my homework.  Thanks for thinking of everyone on SP with your discount!!  Grant's got a good eye for cattle that will go on and make money for you so I'm sure you'll both do very well together.    Good luck down the road!!

justintime

I am pretty pleased to get 1/2 interest and full possession in Joe's  bull. I have been watching him since he first posted his picture here on SP over a year ago. I have been looking for a red, smooth polled bull that has what I think are a fairly unique set of traits, those being... a low BW, good growth at weaning, and yearling, along with good muscle expression and eye appeal. Hillside Leader seems to possess all of these traits and his first calves indicate that he is going to be a bull who can be safely be used on heifers without just having a " throw away" calf. We really think this bull has a great deal to offer the industry, and we look forward to working with the Bales family to promote him. This bull is also backed by a very productive cow family, which is extremely important in my opinion. Good breeding bulls come from good dams, and heritage is an often forgotten consideration. If you go back in his pedigree, there are good cattle back for many generations.

One of my main considerations for my next herd sire, was to find a bull that would sire dark colored, polled, meaty, moderate  commercial bulls that will sire calves with moderate BWs. I think I have found the right bull, and if he does what we think he will do, we will try to have 30-40  sons on offer in our bull sale each spring.

JoeBnTN

For those who've asekd for more pics - please send me an e-mail or PM.  I can send them directly to you.

Thanks!

Joe

OH Breeder

Joe,
COuld you post some of his offspring. I really like his pictures and breeding but wonder how the calves are coming. Congrats on your partnership.

JoeBnTN

OH Breeder said:
Joe,
Could you post some of his offspring. I really like his pictures and breeding but wonder how the calves are coming. Congrats on your partnership.

I'll be glad to get pics as soon as I can get to Dad's - he's 250 miles away and the calves are there.  We've only had two so far - one heifer at 65 lbs. and a bull at 75 lbs.  Both out of CCC Gold Rush daughters with the bull calf's mother being my nephew's senior yearling show heifer this year - thus the slightly heavier weight.  Interstingly she was named Grand Champion the week before she calved!  We do have several heifers bred to him for January calves so I'll know a lot more about him then.  With only two to go on its hard to generalize but I would think that he will be consistently low birth weight and the calves will be very lively and vigorous.  As soon as I can, I'll get photos up.

sue

Do you have ultrasound information?  REA, BF  Act scan wt and    %IMF

JoeBnTN

sue said:
Do you have ultrasound information?  REA, BF  Act scan wt and    %IMF

Sue,

Sorry we didn't get any data collected on him.  He was a single in his contemporary group so we didn't have the number of bulls we needed to justify the expense of getting someone to come over - the closest tech is 200 miles away.  Obviously I wish I had that to do over, but at the time it seemed like the right decision.  If there's anything else we can get for you, let me know and I'll see what I can do,

sue

If you added the replacement pen it might have seemed like a more of a value. I wish my tech was as close as 200 miles ? Good luck with the bull

JoeBnTN

sue said:
If you added the replacement pen it might have seemed like a more of a value. I wish my tech was as close as 200 miles ? Good luck with the bull
Sue,

Do you think it's worth it?  We've done bulls before but with such small contemporary groups we've not been able to decide if the cost is worth it for females.  How much value do you think it adds to your cattle?

JoeBnTN

Sue,

Got your message - will reply when I get back home.

Thanks for the followup.

Joe

JoeBnTN

For those of you've who have reminded me that the picture would look a lot better without the fences and cluttered background  you were right!  I've got a "cleaned-up" version that I'll try to post tonight when I have a few minutes to re-size.  It does make a huge difference.

JoeBnTN

Here's the cleaned-up picture.  Amazing what you can do these days!

Attachments

• Hillside Leader 1 - small.jpg
    Hillside Leader 1 - small.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 202

JoeBnTN

Here's the other photo that we had cleaned up

Attachments

• Hillside Leader 2 - small.jpg
    Hillside Leader 2 - small.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 187

JoeBnTN

Just a reminder that our SteerPlanet special offer runs thorough the end of December.  Thanks to all that have already inquired.