A REAL KICKER....CALF

Help Support Steer Planet:

reno1014

Lets see.....if its not one thing its another.  We now have a calf that kicks.  What can I do?
He kicks at everything and its not one of those little warning kicks...its a hard get away from me kick.

shortyjock89

If he's just a crazy kicker, I would get a broom and basically brush him with it all over.  He will kick and kick and kick and realize that he's not doing any good.  Another thing we have done with sort of extreme cases, is put the calf in a HEAVY steel blocking chute, and either use the blower on them or the broom.  They'll kick that chute a couple times, and they usually won't kick again.  Some people might not like that 2nd choice, but that's what has worked for us.

knabe

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
If he's just a crazy kicker, I would get a broom and basically brush him with it all over.  He will kick and kick and kick and realize that he's not doing any good.  Another thing we have done with sort of extreme cases, is put the calf in a HEAVY steel blocking chute, and either use the blower on them or the broom.  They'll kick that chute a couple times, and they usually won't kick again.  Some people might not like that 2nd choice, but that's what has worked for us.

sometimes kicking in the chute can kick their dew claws off.  do a search for the word kick and look at other threads.  lot's of good advice including determining if it's not worth it.

farmboy

yea we had a goofy heifer and we did that with her and she kicked all four of her dewclaws off.... we sold her to a buddy who took her to the stock yards ;) good riddens

Bawndoh

We have a 30x90 foot barn with 2x8 inch planks running along the bottom five feet.  They would kick that wall ONCE, rattle the whole barn and their brain.  They didnt usually kick at it again.  It is tough having kickers, but yes, try rubbing/blowing her with all kinds of different things until she realizes nothing is going to harm her. 

sawboss

Different approach same outcome, tie the calf to a sturdy rail and use a waterhose to spray their back feet and let them kick away.  Pull up a chair and relax, this may take a little time but eventually they become tired of kicking.  Now it is time to brush and love on them, if they attempt to kick get the waterhose back out.  This has worked for us and is safe for calf and handler.

justme

I watched an old man work on a hereford down in Kentucky that kicked.  I thought he was crazy but this worked in his situation.  He told an old fishing pole, and tied a walmart sack to the end.  He started at her front shoulders and went back to the back legs.  She kicked up a storm, but the fishing pole kept coming back and eventually she stopped.  She wasn't hurt at all, but when she kicked the pole bounced back.  I've recently seen an old horse trainer do that here in Missouri also, and he swears by it.  Said that the pole gave him a save distance, and the bag gave a little noise.

Good luck!

afhm

Know a guy that ties a milk jug to the kickers tail and then turns them out.  After they have had the milk jug a few days, he ties a feed sack to their tail they eventually tire themselves out and give up.  He swears by it, I have yet to try it yet but it works for him.