A secret on SP???

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

knabe said:
as a former drug user/purchaser/seller, i can attest that the solution is incentive to be actively doing something.  we eliminated the separation of child and adults with the 50's and 60's and perhaps no one even aspires to be an adult anymore as we knew them when we were kids, i only recently have begun to realize this for myself.  the incentive to being involved in the economy should be greater than the disincentive to doing things you shouldn't be doing.  i asked my brother's kid, who is 22 or something, how many models he made when he was a kid.  my mouth dropped as he said, "one or two".  we have basically taught our kids to be consumers rather than participators/creators.  we buy our kids love with ipods.  another example.  my brother purchased a $400 dollar cell phone for his other kid.  he had it maybe a month and broke it on a ski trip and did not feel one iota of guilt, not really knowing what $400 dollars was, but also fully knowing his dad would purchase another one.  the problem is us adults and our refusal to accept our role in society, and act like it for that matter.

i had an great uncle who was a tail gunner who survived over 70 missions in WWII and was an alchoholic the rest of his life.  i had another great uncle who committed suicide.  my greatgrandmothers's first husband committed suicide after he divorced her with two kids.  though these examples are not related to recent drug/addiction based models, i can attest personally that it is a great struggle.  drugs are a strange receptor seeker.  without a market, the dealers, who in most cases are excellent businessmen will find other areas to contribute to society.  illegal activity loves a vaccum.  Road Warrior, with your name, i am entrusting you with an evangelical responsibility to get parents and kids involved in anything that involves the involvement of hands and minds.  don't think of payback, think of pay forward.

grammar and rules citation is one of my weakest areas, so yes, i would need a grammar expert.

KNabe - My entire point here is that it will take drastic measures to combat illegal drug use. Shut it down at the source, on the streets and schools that is the dealer. My theory being start at the bottom and work your way up. Short of a military strike against the drug cartells, I'm not sure what to do with them. IMHO the DEA has failed miserably mostly because their hands are tied by beurocratic B S. Drug dealers whether at the top or bottom of the net work have no rights to violate. Catch them, Prosecute them and make examples out of them. The county I live in is one of the largest meth producing counties in the state, very rural with limited or no drug enforcement. I ask you this question - If you and you're friend were dealing drugs, he gets caught and you don't. The next day I have a public hanging and let him swing . Wouldn't you at least think about changing carreers? If not I guess I'll see yoiu at the tree sooner or later.

strawroanlova

ROAD WARRIOR said:
knabe said:
as a former drug user/purchaser/seller, i can attest that the solution is incentive to be actively doing something.  we eliminated the separation of child and adults with the 50's and 60's and perhaps no one even aspires to be an adult anymore as we knew them when we were kids, i only recently have begun to realize this for myself.  the incentive to being involved in the economy should be greater than the disincentive to doing things you shouldn't be doing.  i asked my brother's kid, who is 22 or something, how many models he made when he was a kid.  my mouth dropped as he said, "one or two".  we have basically taught our kids to be consumers rather than participators/creators.  we buy our kids love with ipods.  another example.  my brother purchased a $400 dollar cell phone for his other kid.  he had it maybe a month and broke it on a ski trip and did not feel one iota of guilt, not really knowing what $400 dollars was, but also fully knowing his dad would purchase another one.  the problem is us adults and our refusal to accept our role in society, and act like it for that matter.

i had an great uncle who was a tail gunner who survived over 70 missions in WWII and was an alchoholic the rest of his life.  i had another great uncle who committed suicide.  my greatgrandmothers's first husband committed suicide after he divorced her with two kids.  though these examples are not related to recent drug/addiction based models, i can attest personally that it is a great struggle.  drugs are a strange receptor seeker.  without a market, the dealers, who in most cases are excellent businessmen will find other areas to contribute to society.  illegal activity loves a vaccum.  Road Warrior, with your name, i am entrusting you with an evangelical responsibility to get parents and kids involved in anything that involves the involvement of hands and minds.  don't think of payback, think of pay forward.

grammar and rules citation is one of my weakest areas, so yes, i would need a grammar expert.

KNabe - My entire point here is that it will take drastic measures to combat illegal drug use. Shut it down at the source, on the streets and schools that is the dealer. My theory being start at the bottom and work your way up. Short of a military strike against the drug cartells, I'm not sure what to do with them. IMHO the DEA has failed miserably mostly because their hands are tied by beurocratic B S. Drug dealers whether at the top or bottom of the net work have no rights to violate. Catch them, Prosecute them and make examples out of them. The county I live in is one of the largest meth producing counties in the state, very rural with limited or no drug enforcement. I ask you this question - If you and you're friend were dealing drugs, he gets caught and you don't. The next day I have a public hanging and let him swing . Wouldn't you at least think about changing carreers? If not I guess I'll see yoiu at the tree sooner or later.
well the reply was to long to read but its good you are a FORMER drug user

Show Heifer

Strawroanlova - I am concerned now....are you saying reading 3 paragraphs was TOO LONG??? How in the world do you ever read a newspaper? A pamplet? Or Heaven forbid, a BOOK? 

I agree with both RW and Knabe - keep everyone involved in doing SOMETHING LEGAL, but if that fails, I have a tall oak in my pasture, and a short halter in the barn!!!!

itk

Ruchian said:
itk said:
My new pet peeve is county's were the champion steer brings twice as much as the champion steer at the Kansas State Fair. Now I think I am more upset that someone, at whatever county Ruchian shows at, is getting $3,000 for some red ribbon steer they pulled out of grandpa's pasture a week before the show while other kids are busting their butts to win a county fair where they will get $1,800. On the bright side, if people spent less on cattle they would be able to spend more on drugs. This would insure that our new drug czar Road Warrior would have plenty to keep him busy. ;D

Most of these steers are bought in October from well known breeders, not pulled off a ranch right before the fair.  We have breeders from all over Oregon and northern California bringing steers and heifer to this sale.  While I can see why you might think that we get too much for our steer, most of us work our animals a lot and it seems a little rude of you to just assume we don't work our steers.

Read my post again I said SOMEONE is pulling a calf out of their grandpas pasture a week before the show. Then you replied that MOST of the steers are bought in October. So after reading your reply I think we will both agree that there might be SOMEONE who is getting to much money for to little work. These people might not be in the majority but they probally exist. Sorry to get you all worked up but the big smiley guy at the end of the post should have helped you figure out the post wasn't all that serious. If you work hard take the money when you can.

knabe

ROAD WARRIOR said:
knabe said:
If you and you're friend were dealing drugs, he gets caught and you don't. The next day I have a public hanging and let him swing . Wouldn't you at least think about changing carreers? If not I guess I'll see yoiu at the tree sooner or later.

the antidote to this is what if it's your son or daughter.  i'm pretty sure you wouldn't take the rope from my hand and place it around your kin.  conundrums like this change everyone's carreers.  no hard feelings meant.  if we spent more time on creative rather than punititve solutions we wouldn't be making it so fun to break the law.

Ruchian

itk said:
Ruchian said:
itk said:
My new pet peeve is county's were the champion steer brings twice as much as the champion steer at the Kansas State Fair. Now I think I am more upset that someone, at whatever county Ruchian shows at, is getting $3,000 for some red ribbon steer they pulled out of grandpa's pasture a week before the show while other kids are busting their butts to win a county fair where they will get $1,800. On the bright side, if people spent less on cattle they would be able to spend more on drugs. This would insure that our new drug czar Road Warrior would have plenty to keep him busy. ;D

Most of these steers are bought in October from well known breeders, not pulled off a ranch right before the fair.  We have breeders from all over Oregon and northern California bringing steers and heifer to this sale.  While I can see why you might think that we get too much for our steer, most of us work our animals a lot and it seems a little rude of you to just assume we don't work our steers.

Read my post again I said SOMEONE is pulling a calf out of their grandpas pasture a week before the show. Then you replied that MOST of the steers are bought in October. So after reading your reply I think we will both agree that there might be SOMEONE who is getting to much money for to little work. These people might not be in the majority but they probally exist. Sorry to get you all worked up but the big smiley guy at the end of the post should have helped you figure out the post wasn't all that serious. If you work hard take the money when you can.

Sorry, didn't see the word someone.  I know there are people like that at my fair, there was one in my club last year.  He had an awful steer but won his class because it was the lightest class and none of them were finished.  My dad and I worked his steer more than he did.  Even though some aren't worked much these steers still aren't picked right before fair, we have a weigh-in in February and our fair is in July.

ROAD WARRIOR

knabe said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:
knabe said:
If you and you're friend were dealing drugs, he gets caught and you don't. The next day I have a public hanging and let him swing . Wouldn't you at least think about changing carreers? If not I guess I'll see yoiu at the tree sooner or later.

the antidote to this is what if it's your son or daughter.  i'm pretty sure you wouldn't take the rope from my hand and place it around your kin.  conundrums like this change everyone's carreers.  no hard feelings meant.  if we spent more time on creative rather than punititve solutions we wouldn't be making it so fun to break the law.

I'm not sure what creative solution you could come up with that would be more enticing than the huge amounts of money that flows through the drug trade. Our prisons are already over crowded with carreer criminals that it costs the tax payers millions of dollars to feed and house each year. I will grant you that not everyone has raised their children like I have - I have always told them that if they are doing drugs, they had better hope that the cops get to them before I do. I stay VERY involved in their lives, they are active in school, sports, cattle shows and the day to day opperation of the ranch. I recognize though that there are alot of children out there raising themselves because their parents should never have reproduced. The basic premise of good old fashioned family values is nearly non existant in todays society. You have to reward the good and reprimand the bad. Elimination of the bad influences in society is about the only hope for this country. I do belive that there is some "salvage" value in a certain percentage of the people, but if you are manufacturing drugs with the intent of selling them, I have no use or mercy for you.

knabe

thoughtful response RW

i remember when ecstasy first came out, it was legal.  then it was illegal, and then not only the price went up, but so did the penalties, but use didn't go down, it went up.  i do think that when we have a captive audience in prison, they should be learning something as they basically cost the same per year as attending college.  weights and tv's gotta go.  it was a good model to have braiding and bit and spur making in the old days.  i ususally substitute elimination with minimization as the law of decreasing reward takes over.  getting the decreasingingly smaller percentages of evildoers is disproportionately more expensive.  i agree i don't know where the line is right now, but am frustrated prisons are basically known more for gang affiliation and reinforcement and abuse.  i also agree with you that some percentage are not salvageable no matter what you do.  when someone gets out of prison, it's extremely difficult for them to get back into society.  i do nothing personally in this area, though i have hired excon's and helped out with managing and monitoring them including making sure they end up back at the halfway house every day.

ROAD WARRIOR

Knabe - I whole heartedly agree on the prison issues. Get rid of the luxery items that many of us hard working people don't have access to. State of the art weight rooms, cable TV etc. etc. I believe that if you are in prison you should be responsible for the cost of your stay there, everybody else in the world is expected to make a living, I don't know why they're not. I see nothing wrong with the old chain gangs - a captive work force that could be better utilized in my opinion. I'm sure that there will be all kinds of people scream about violating the prisoners rights but IMHO when they were convicted they forfieted their rights. The gangs are dirrectly tied to the drugs, eliminate one and you eliminate the other, however I think that the current system is too corrupt to approach this problem.

Latest posts