A Simmental Decision

Help Support Steer Planet:

WKYIronMike

Got a Reg. Black Simmental Heifer that I'm thinking of putting in a sale this fall. I was told she would do better if I got her AI bred. The AI tech that will be doing the aiing works for Accelerated Genetics. Therefore, I thought I would get the semen through them. Heifer is a Dream On grand daughter with some Power Stroke and MR MT in the pedigree. Looking at Bettis, Manifest, and Kappes Bottomline. Any info on those three bulls would be appreciated. Heifer's reg# is 2559694 if you would like to see her epds's or pedigree. Sorry I haven't got better pics of her. 

Attachments

• Mike & Rowdy pics 2 resized_opt.jpg
    Mike & Rowdy pics 2 resized_opt.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Happily Rowdy pic 9 resized_opt.jpg
    Happily Rowdy pic 9 resized_opt.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 208

WJ Farms

I would consider using Flying B Cut Above or "Fat Butt" is what they call him also........he will had that depth of body from what i can tell is what she probably needs

simmyman67

Do not use Fat Butt! His bw is more than 100 pounds. definitely not heifer safe.

Bulldaddy

Another option would be to use an Angus bull on her for her first calf.  Those SimAngus calves are easy to sell--bull or heifer.

SSIMMENTALS

Of the three, I would use Bettis. I don't know the mating would hit a home run, but the buyer could feel very confident that she would be able to have the calf. IMO he's going to help you on rib; I see him as a maternal CE bull; not going to always make a showcalf but a really nice cow prospect. They carry heifer semen on him, so your potential buyer would be able to expect her to have a heifer calf that could make a very good cow down the road. To me that would make her a tick more appealing because, if everything goes well, the buyer would have the mama plus a quality heifer that he can keep or sell as a bred/heifer calf etc.He has a pretty nice set of epds to match waht he offers physically. His milk epd is pretty low, but he's out of shear force (proven female bull + ce) and I like his mama from a cow perspective, so I think it'd be fine.

WKYIronMike

I'm leaning to Bettis as well. Although I like Bottomline's milk and growth numbers, but I know he is a younger less proven option. I like that Bettis has a larger frame than Bottomline and has the sexed semen available. Heifer is a bit too moderate. Manifest looks nice but has a lower calving ease and a low milk epd as well. As far as the Angus goes I don't know much about any of Accelerated Genetics Angus sires as I breed mainly straight simmental but I'm open to suggestions.

leanbeef

I'll start by saying I think you've narrowed it down to the right three! Accel Gen doesn't have a lot to offer in the Simmies, but we've used both Manifest and Bettis. Honestly, I wasn't crazy about the Manifest calves at first, but they get better. He works best on small framed, soggy middled cows, and we didn't have any trouble calving anything we bred to him, including heifers. I start with him because he's the one of the three that helps the cow's numbers. Her weak spots are growth and API, and he's an easy choice in those areas.

Granted, Bettis and Bottom Line are a little stronger in the CE EPD...factor in EPD accuracies, the cow's role in calving ease and the other factors involved (management, feeding, etc.) and none of those bulls look like real problems to me. The heifer is a 9.2 on MCE...I'm not particularly worried about using a moderate birth weight bull on a female like that.

I have mixed reviews on our Bettis calves. Some of them are real nice. A couple of them aren't nearly as good as their mother, and I'm not crazy about bulls that aren't consistent in what they bring to a mating. The other thing I would consider is the popularity of these bulls by next fall...I think Manifest is probably going to gain in popularity...I haven't heard a lot of buzz about Bettis. We've actually opted to use his full brother, Singletary, instead this season. I saw several of those calves at the Triple C dispersal, and I think they're stouter and more uniform than the Bettis calves I've seen so far.

I like the looks of the Bottom Line bull, and his EPD package is pretty decent, especially for making females. I'm not particularly a huge Lucky Man fan, so... I would want to know for sure that Bottom Line was a non spotter before I used him on a heifer like that. Her pedigree looks pretty safe, but it only takes one gene back there some where to come back and bite you! Again...I would have to weigh out the potential popularity of the bull she's going to be bred to when she sells. But don't let that be your only guide!... (i.e. Don't use "Fat Butt")

The Angus bulls at Accelerated that we're looking at this year would be Fast Track, In Focus 4925, Iron Mountain and Pure Product...and all four are registered as Foundation sires with ASA. We try to use a little Angus to make a few half bloods each year, and I'm just not committed yet for the spring. Fast Track is the best numbered...for whatever that's worth. Good thing about Accelerated's website is they have video on a LOT of the bulls in their line up, so if you haven't already checked those out, you should.

And if you wanna see the projected mating EPDs for your heifer on the three bulls you're thinking about...
https://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/template/plannedMating%2CPlanMateBulk.vm/action/plannedMating.PlanMatingAction

Gargan

Have you all tried Fatt butt on heifers? i've heard a few success stories of people using him on heifers. Im just curious and not contracdicting you. They have him as 1.6 on the Bw epd's.

WJ Farms

Sorry I wasnt paying attention to the heifer part I apologize.......do not use him on your heifer.....His BW EPD is 1.4 and breed average is 0.7 which would make him almost a pound over on EPD....... Have you looked into Rubys Wide Open??? His BW EPD is a 1

leanbeef

Fat Butt is a 1.4 lbs on BW EPD which puts him in the 65th percentile of the breed... And his CE is below the top 75th percentile. You might not have a train wreck, but why?... I'm not trying to knock the bull. I've actually thought about using him, but I haven't heard good reviews of his calves. I'm sure there are some good ones, but I think he's well promoted and people are using him on everything, and he's not that kind of bull.

Wide Open is 1 pound on BW because his mother is negative. He's still above breed average (in pounds...not in the direction you would WANT him to be "above" average), and he's an unproven bull out of a sire that's +3 lbs... It's tempting to use bulls that win shows or have certain pedigrees or have some promotion behind them, but I've been breeding cattle a long time, and we've had a lot more success in our program since we focused on our own goals and stopped trying to do what we saw everybody else doing. $API is a great tool... If we had to use just one number, that would be it.

As far as your heifer, you're on the right track. Don't get too far off sidetracked!

ALTSIMMY 79

I really wouldn't just use semen from your one source. I'm guessing your thinking of convenience and keeping your rep happy. I've been down that road before and ill never limit my breeding decisions again. As readily available most semen is in todays world , I would shop around and find that one bull that makes sense to you regardless of who carries him !

WKYIronMike

Thanks for all the suggestions, advice, and your time. I'm gonna think it over and do some number punching and make a decision soon. Still leaning towards Bettis but I'm gonna give the rest a strong look.