A&T CAPTAIN OBVIOUS calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

trevorgreycattleco said:
IMO, this just goes to show how far off Australia and Canada are from the united States still. Wakaru and no offense, but they have already had there peak here. Lots of folks used them ALOT. They are sure making a effort to get their cattle up to snuff. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but after reading your thoughts TDU, I am going to guess you have never been around CO and have seen very few offspring. Its interesting to me you would pick JPJ when he doesnt bring to the table what aussies think is important, ie growth and bigger framed animals that pack the pounds. Seems weird to me. I can apprecitae your opinion and I will respectfully disagree. I also dont understand why Patent wouldnt be on the open market? Whats the point? seems to be backwards thinking to me. Again, just my opinion. I dont need to be scolded.  I have enjoyed reading this thread and I dont want it to turn into a pissing match.//// Well put-The only thing I might add,is HOW WELL THE WAUKARU cattle cross-yes,they are going to produce calves that work being AI BRED to easy fleshing Canadian,or the hardy travvelling Aussie cattle-but for the most part-as far as the desert-and rough praries go-they aint there in person. And yes-I follow Crooked Post and some of the other breeders who have taken bulls up there-and from what I could see-the cattle were well taken care of. O0

jaimiediamond

I have seen more influence from Waukaru from Crooked Post and I have to say the way they combined those genetics worked very well for their program and their customers.  I really enjoyed a herd tour last month and they had a consistent high quality herd that maintained body condition on a combined seed hay.   

Attachments

• crooked post hope 8t.jpg
    crooked post hope 8t.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 308

sue

Patent has a full brother . top shelf? I saw those calves in the last sale at waukauru. I liked em. Might have th e wrong name... i know jake alden and I talked about that sire group before the sale.

Shortdawg - the white bull looks good.

As far as the movement, shoulder structure discussion regarding Captain. On three different occassion Lance at CAttle visions has seen captain in person. In fact the video on CV web page has a shot of Lance in the back ground. 

kfacres

trevorgreycattleco said:
IMO, this just goes to show how far off Australia and Canada are from the united States still. Wakaru and no offense, but they have already had there peak here. Lots of folks used them ALOT. They are sure making a effort to get their cattle up to snuff. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but after reading your thoughts TDU, I am going to guess you have never been around CO and have seen very few offspring. Its interesting to me you would pick JPJ when he doesnt bring to the table what aussies think is important, ie growth and bigger framed animals that pack the pounds. Seems weird to me. I can apprecitae your opinion and I will respectfully disagree. I also dont understand why Patent wouldnt be on the open market? Whats the point? seems to be backwards thinking to me. Again, just my opinion. I dont need to be scolded.  I have enjoyed reading this thread and I dont want it to turn into a pissing match.

I think this pretty well sums of what i was going to say...

I think TDU- you are way off--even though I didn't much care for the video of the CO son posted on here from Denver while he was walking.. that is simply one son.  i think there are a few knick knack things that I dislike in CO-- but you cannot argue that his pedigree is fill with plenty more COMMERCIAL shorthorns.  IMO if you switch the names of two bulls in your post.. you have hit it dead on...  JPJ has virtually the same pedigree as DOUBLE STUFF- with a shot of Angus.  The difference being he doesn't put the muscle, and a gives more body fat.

TDU:  have you ever seen any JPJ offspring on the move- have you ever seen any other than the ones selling in the yards this year at Denver/  How about 3 or 4 years worth of those bulls selling-- like some of us have...

It's interesting, how people can look at the same animals- and form completely differing opinions on structure.  I sometimes wonder if anyone truly knows what 'structure' is supposed to look like, or be made. 

My respect for JPJ is slightly growing-- he has his place-- he is most def a changer sire.  he brings much needed body, fleshing ease, and calving ease to the breed-- that needs that terrible... When mating him to Trumpers-- it's a fire/ice mating: 

i know, i shouldn't let my guard down. <party>

frostback

[ As far as the movement, shoulder structure discussion regarding Captain. On three different occassion Lance at CAttle visions has seen captain in person. In fact the video on CV web page has a shot of Lance in the back ground.  [/quote] Soooooo someone has seen him 3 times, what does that mean exactally?

frostback

frostback said:
[ As far as the movement, shoulder structure discussion regarding Captain. On three different occassion Lance at CAttle visions has seen captain in person. In fact the video on CV web page has a shot of Lance in the back ground. 
Soooooo someone has seen him 3 times, what does that mean exactally? [/quote]

kfacres

frostback said:
frostback said:
[ As far as the movement, shoulder structure discussion regarding Captain. On three different occassion Lance at CAttle visions has seen captain in person. In fact the video on CV web page has a shot of Lance in the back ground. 
Soooooo someone has seen him 3 times, what does that mean exactally?
[/quote]must like him enough to come back for round 2... or 3....

not many promo bulls I've seen deserved a second look...

trevorgreycattleco

frostback said:
frostback said:
[/quote]

Maybe that doesnt mean squat to you but a guy who sees more cattle each year of all breeds and liked the bull enough to own half of him says a hell of alot to me. Maybe frosty if you said you had seen the bull 3 times or if i said I saw the bull 3 times it wouldnt mean much but I will take a guys opinion that runs one of the most successful AI companies out there to the bank.

jaimiediamond

frostback said:
frostback said:
[/quote]

It might have to do with the fact Captain Obvious was liked enough for Cattle Visions to invest in him and owners generally see their cattle. :)

Attachments

• x4113971.jpg
    x4113971.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 330

frostback

I said nothing negitive in my post I just asked a question, it seemed like sue was going to tell us what Lance said or something and she hit post too early. You read so much into my posts that arnt there. I guess I must refrane from asking questions.  So so sorry Trev.

Doc

mark tenenbaum said:
Well put-The only thing I might add,is HOW WELL THE WAUKARU cattle cross-yes,they are going to produce calves that work being AI BRED to easy fleshing Canadian,or the hardy travvelling Aussie cattle-but for the most part-as far as the desert-and rough praries go-they aint there in person. And yes-I follow Crooked Post and some of the other breeders who have taken bulls up there-and from what I could see-the cattle were well taken care of. O0
[/quote]

Well , anybody that can feed 2 families off their cows has to be doing something right. As far as the desert goes, I think Toby has been on here & posted letters from King Ranch. I would say that is as tough an enviroment as any out there.

kfacres

Doc said:
mark tenenbaum said:
Well put-The only thing I might add,is HOW WELL THE WAUKARU cattle cross-yes,they are going to produce calves that work being AI BRED to easy fleshing Canadian,or the hardy travvelling Aussie cattle-but for the most part-as far as the desert-and rough praries go-they aint there in person. And yes-I follow Crooked Post and some of the other breeders who have taken bulls up there-and from what I could see-the cattle were well taken care of. O0

Well , anybody that can feed 2 families off their cows has to be doing something right. As far as the desert goes, I think Toby has been on here & posted letters from King Ranch. I would say that is as tough an enviroment as any out there.
[/quote]

this whole thing of supporting two families and xx amount of people-- is BS.. anyone who has the land paid off- and runs a forage based feedings system-- doesn't have much to spend money wise.  And for that matter-- anyone with enough cows-- can make a huge profit... 

Our cows- generate more than enough profit to compensate for the sheep.. if we had a couple hundred of them- I wouldn't work either..  Add that to the 100 milk cows-- and three families would be supported.. 

sue

trevorgreycattleco said:
frostback said:
frostback said:

Maybe that doesnt mean squat to you but a guy who sees more cattle each year of all breeds and liked the bull enough to own half of him says a hell of alot to me. Maybe frosty if you said you had seen the bull 3 times or if i said I saw the bull 3 times it wouldnt mean much but I will take a guys opinion that runs one of the most successful AI companies out there to the bank.
[/quote]
That's so true. I had someone say " it's like ordering a christmas present". Most user friendly AI web page in the business.  The staff is very friendly .

trevorgreycattleco

jaimiediamond said:
trevorgreycattleco said:
Haha, Jamiediamond how about that. We agreed :) <beer>

lol actually it was just a fact not an opinion but in this case  :)))

Oh I guess I will just keep my stupid mouth shut and let the experts fill me in.  ::) My bad jamie. I dont see where I said it was my "opinion" Cattlevisions bought a piece. Yes that is a fact. Stupid me

Doc

Cut the BS said:
Doc said:
mark tenenbaum said:

this whole thing of supporting two families and xx amount of people-- is BS.. anyone who has the land paid off- and runs a forage based feedings system-- doesn't have much to spend money wise.  And for that matter-- anyone with enough cows-- can make a huge profit... 

Our cows- generate more than enough profit to compensate for the sheep.. if we had a couple hundred of them- I wouldn't work either..  Add that to the 100 milk cows-- and three families would be supported.. 
[/quote]

Well if your cows are having to carry your sheep, then why don't you get rid of the sheep & quit your job. Seems pretty easy decision to me. As far as the other goes, the land & cattle had to be paid for somehow. I still say it's a pretty good accomplishment.