A&T Captain Obvious video !!! thanks Brad Hook

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

outlawcattlecompany said:
I also thought the video quality was intentional..fit the theme of the video. Excellent bull - NATURAL power, capacity, muscle. All bull rather than all hair.
Y'uns ought to cross him with a Gert cow... ;)

GB

sue

simmyman67 said:
He is amazing! How old is he in this video?

In this video he is 4 yrs old. Birthdate 2/06 . thanks.

rarebirdz

Shorty Heifer bulls is locked I will stand by the fact that CO is too small for 90% of commerical operations, and that he doen't move as well as one would hope as a young bull. 1910 isn't acceptable for a 4 year old I wouldnt make money feeding them out. 

TGCC stated that it was a bad video and didn't show the bulls quality, perhaps a new one is in order no fitting just a natural bull with up to date information.

garybob

rarebirdz said:
Shorty Heifer bulls is locked I will stand by the fact that CO is too small for 90% of commerical operations, and that he doen't move as well as one would hope as a young bull. 1910 isn't acceptable for a 4 year old I wouldnt make money feeding them out. 

TGCC stated that it was a bad video and didn't show the bulls quality, perhaps a new one is in order no fitting just a natural bull with up to date information.
rarebirdz, I don't think you understand how LITTLE grain he has had all four years of his life. He'd a been a 2400-lb bull if he'd been pushed. Second, how many "performance bulls" have as much masculinity, libido, or easy-fleshing "beef phenotype"? NONE OF 'EM!!!!!!He is what is neded to "right-size" a 1400-lb raw-boned cow, or an 1800-lb easy-fleshing donor.

You must live where fescue and bermudagrass don't grow.

GB

rarebirdz

garybob said:
rarebirdz, I don't think you understand how LITTLE grain he has had all four years of his life. He'd a been a 2400-lb bull if he'd been pushed. Second, how many "performance bulls" have as much masculinity, libido, or easy-fleshing "beef phenotype"? NONE OF 'EM!!!!!!He is what is neded to "right-size" a 1400-lb raw-boned cow, or an 1800-lb easy-fleshing donor.

GB

Perhaps parts of your assupmtions are correct.  I just find it annoying that as a commercial producer who raises, feeds, and takes cattle to the packer that purebred breeders go and say I don't know what I am talking about.  Yet the same breeders claim to be the ones that will save shorthorns make thems a option, listen to the commericial breeder ect.  Well here I am saying what I see regarding a bull, and those who say listen to the commercial man argue, insult, and degrad a program they had no info about I have been following sp and had a keen interest in shorthorns as a option for my angus base herd.  The bull in the video is as fat as a hog, so pushing him would have caused more structural problems then that video implys.  As stated before another user said that video sucked I just requested a new one, one where the bull isn't clipped blown and boned and the quality isnt poor do to a accident with the tape

garybob

rarebirdz said:
garybob said:

GB

Perhaps parts of your assupmtions are correct.  I just find it annoying that as a commercial producer who raises, feeds, and takes cattle to the packer that purebred breeders go and say I don't know what I am talking about.  Yet the same breeders claim to be the ones that will save shorthorns make thems a option, listen to the commericial breeder ect.  Well here I am saying what I see regarding a bull, and those who say listen to the commercial man argue, insult, and degrad a program they had no info about I have been following sp and had a keen interest in shorthorns as a option for my angus base herd.  The bull in the video is as fat as a hog, so pushing him would have caused more structural problems then that video implys.  As stated before another user said that video sucked I just requested a new one, one where the bull isn't clipped blown and boned and the quality isnt poor do to a accident with the tape
Once again, He is an available tool, but not the entire hardware store.

GB

rarebirdz

garybob said:

GB

well up until now it was implied he was the entire store.  That my concerns regarding his soundness were unfounded, that his size notta problem its what the commercial breeder wants.

basically I want to see another video, tgcc says the bull is sound so lets see him natural, with high qaulity. 

garybob

rarebirdz said:
garybob said:

GB

well up until now it was implied he was the entire store.  That my concerns regarding his soundness were unfounded, that his size notta problem its what the commercial breeder wants.

basically I want to see another video, tgcc says the bull is sound so lets see him natural, with high qaulity. 
Commerciallly speaking.....he is what is needed for Balancer, SimAngus, Brangus, Beefmaster, and Gert cows. Is he the right pick for an OCC-Pharo Lowline? Hell, NO! None of us, not even Sue or trevorGrey said that.

GB

Okotoks

rarebirdz said:
garybob said:

GB

Perhaps parts of your assupmtions are correct.  I just find it annoying that as a commercial producer who raises, feeds, and takes cattle to the packer that purebred breeders go and say I don't know what I am talking about.  Yet the same breeders claim to be the ones that will save shorthorns make thems a option, listen to the commericial breeder ect.  Well here I am saying what I see regarding a bull, and those who say listen to the commercial man argue, insult, and degrad a program they had no info about I have been following sp and had a keen interest in shorthorns as a option for my angus base herd.  The bull in the video is as fat as a hog, so pushing him would have caused more structural problems then that video implys.  As stated before another user said that video sucked I just requested a new one, one where the bull isn't clipped blown and boned and the quality isnt poor do to a accident with the tape
It is kind of interesting that the very people preaching what the commercial industry needs turn around and attack two commercial producers! One that has started using Shorthorn bulls and one that was contemplating using them. If CO works in some programs that is good and I have heard reports from breeders that are very happy with the results. I would have a hard time selling bulls that mature at 1910. One of the bulls I am using is 2180 and he wintered well. That is on the small side of what's wanted in the market around here. Of course I think CO might be the answer on some of the more extreme sized heavier birth weight lines. Some will argue that's Fire and Ice but I think it would work! Anyway I think we should be listening to our commercial customers. The attacks against fellow breeders because we don't like their bloodlines etc. on a public forum is a little insane but attacking the commercial breeders is just plain dumb!

sue

sue said:
This video was taken September of 2009-  Captain covered 34 females, we washed and Troy glued one leg and tail head on captain . Captain has wintered with cows since he was 18 mos old - no grain or  extras.

He weighed 1910 in this video - this video was taken just 3 days after Davis shorthorns, 2 breeders from MN, Kent Jaecke and Patrick Wall had seen the bull and 8 sons of captain. Earlier that summer we entertained breeders of all types and operation from Canada, Alabama, Tx, OH and PA.
The footage was not intended to be scratchy- the video was lost and then damaged- brad hook made it work. Lance and my father are in the video.

Today in working condition you will see Captain maintain a weight of 1900 to 2100 lbs. He covered over 60 hd last summer and weighed 2100 from the time he left our place in July until september - just before stud.

Captain was purchased from a couple that grew up raising Angus in the sandhills of NE. Captain was the first Shorthorn bull they sold. Captain's dam was raised in MT, Dover Sindelair is no stranger to the breed of commerical shorthorns.  A& T Cattle have over 100 hd of shorthorns and several 100 hd of black angus.  Captains breeding is completely intended for the commerical operation - it just so happens some of his calves can be pretty enough for a steer show too. Two of his sons were sale toppers at Iowa and Ohio Beef Expo this past spring.
Can you all read this again.... in working condition 1900-2100 lbs, that's a 5 frame bull... . That's not with corn in front of him . Rarebirdz really just call me - 517.281.3248  .  Nite time phone 231-796 0027. 

J

JTM

Okotoks, I agree with the fire and ice mating. I just bred him to an Assett x Sara's Sable heifer from Sullivans. I think including bulls like Captain Obvious, Proud Jazz, and a few others that have good looks but offer some lower birthweight and calving ease will be a good thing for a lot of people moving forward. Commercial or show.

trevorgreycattleco

Yes lets reread this. Rarebirdz, if you want me to continue this conversation, I need a answer from you on what angus lines you use. Your answer will tell me alot about your program. Is it Schaff and you pound the $7.40 corn to em? Do you use canadian genetics. I can see where our bulls dont work for you guys. No big deal to me. I dont really care what you got to do in Canada. I dont live there and neither do 99% of the worlds beef producers. Not attacking anybody at all. These are the facts before us. Corn is expensive. So is fuel. So is beer. We need to make these cattle as effecient as possible IMO. At least around here. My customers from the city want all natural grass fed beef and will pay a premium. If you are in the same boat as me, these bulls will help you get where your going. I honestly dont care if anybody uses them or not. Thats their business. Buy what you want. Its your money. When a supposed commercial guy gets on here and says these bulls suck but wont say what he uses then I have to question who I am talkin to? Rarebirdz you can call me anytime. I think it would be a interesting chat. Folks are to damn sensitive these days. This is a business last time I checked. Doesnt any good business try and become more effiecent? Oh and rarebirdz, you obviously dont run Keeney bulls or Shoshone bulls because they must be duds to. Seeing how they weigh about the same as Captain Obvious and only make the best damn cows you ever have seen in your life. Wait, no performance, they must suck to.

nate53

As I have said before, our cow herd is predominantly black angus and for the past several years we have used angus bulls.  We feed out our own cattle and a few for a neighbor, we sell these cattle on the grid and have for the past 20 some years.  We want a moderate sized cow that calves easy, breeds back on time, raises good calves, basically does it all for us.  Well thats the goal.  We want a cow that can do it all wether they are getting full feed of silage, hay or just grass, they need to perform in all of these conditions,  because around here things change a lot in the weather department! 

The calves need to finish out between 1100 and 1500 lbs., preferably
hot carcass weights 1000 lbs.  and over gets docked pretty hard

Black angus in general is pretty much unbeatable in a lot of aspects, however I am confident the right shorthorns can deffenitley cross with the angus and produce a superior female in pretty much all aspects.  I am trying CO on some angus and am not the least bit concerned with his 1900 - 2300 lb. mature weight.  Really tell me what I'm going to be giving up with this kind of mature weight?  One other thing maybe you all ought to look more at CO's calves before saying he's to small or won't work, 600 - 800's for weaning weights what's the problem?

TXSimmy

garybob said:
outlawcattlecompany said:
I also thought the video quality was intentional..fit the theme of the video. Excellent bull - NATURAL power, capacity, muscle. All bull rather than all hair.
Y'uns ought to cross him with a Gert cow... ;)

GB

hmmmm......next potential star 5

Davis Shorthorns

I will tell you that the CO son that I bought from Sue weighed over 1000 at 10 months with a 14 in ribeye.  I am not in the least bit concerned with performance out of the bull.  Now is he going to be the next great high indexing Angus type sire?  Probably not but as far a sire that does alot of things very well he does that.  There will be some ET babies out of some VERY nice angus bulls out of CO and some sons down in Northern Texas this fall and I would say to hold out judgment on the bull untill they start showing up around <cowboy>