ABC's

Help Support Steer Planet:

DFSC

I know that not many people on this board deal with Americans, but I thought I would give this a shot. I have three PB Brahman cattle that I want to breed to get steers that will qualify for ABC classes here in Texas. What would y'all recommend?? They will be having their first calves in January. These Brahmans are stout and sound and I think they will have the potential to make some nice steers. I would like to stick with easier calving bulls.

Thank you in advance!

Jordan

doublestuff

If you can get a hold of John nagelin and get some CHILI PEPPER SEMEN THEN THAT WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO. Last 2 hou champions and last yrs San Antone champion were out of him and he has placed many more using that bull on Brahman cows.

qbcattle

That bull is not much to look at, but has seriously only had a handful of calves out of Johnny's cows that have not placed at a major...pretty impressive. But the calves u will get I would run brahman before ABC.

DFSC

I've never actually raised american's for show. Do you want them born in Dec.-Jan. for major's? I'm located in Texas.

Thanks!

Jordan

steermomintx

Totally agree with the posts above!!  I also think you are on the right track for calving dates in Dec. and Jan.  I think we live in the same area and you would for sure have a potential customer here!!  ;D  Good luck!!  We are going to breed probably about 5 cows to Chili Pepper this go around.

rackranch

I agree, you will prolly to breed the brahman down one more time to get ABC..ie, 25% brahman 75% maine... but the brahman has a class as well..

qbcattle said:
That bull is not much to look at, but has seriously only had a handful of calves out of Johnny's cows that have not placed at a major...pretty impressive. But the calves u will get I would run brahman before ABC.