Abortions ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Carlson Cattle

we have been having allot of abortions. we live in Iowa and are feeding cornstalks I don't know what is going wrong  ???

EaglesNest

I agree w freddy test sample of the feed. I heard rumors aflatoxins were worse this past year in corn due to drought conditions.  Are you feeding a breeder mineral?

Lucky_P

You need to get with your veterinarian and get feed samples - and a 'fresh' aborted fetus & placenta, and serum sample from the dam (and any other cows that have aborted recently) to the diagnostic lab.

Excessive nitrates would be a concern - as would Neospora, Leptospira, IBR, BVD, and any number of other potential causes.  All folks on an internet discussion board can do is conjecture about possible causes.
Get the appropriate testing done.

J2F

Keep us posted. With hay being tight I know there is a lot more grazing of corn fields and rolled stalks being fed this year.

FriedgesCharolais

I just saw this post and this happened to me this morning at 3:30am woke up to a cow bellaring and walked out with a flashlight and saw a calf taht was probably pushing 150-200 days laying at her feet, we are also feeding cornstalks and silage.

cdl

Last year we lost 6 calves out of 22. some were aborted and some were born early but wouldn't get up and suck. we tubed them etc. but couldn't make them want to live. we were feeding sweet corn stalks that were baled up. we sent tissue samples to U of A but they couldn't  determine the cause of death. this year we have had one cow abort but are keeping our fingers crossed that we don't lose any more. we are pasturing them on sweet corn stalks alfalfa stubble and oats that we never cut. we also have put out moormans mineral blocks. they are looking very good.