? about rain rot

Help Support Steer Planet:

3GCC

what does it look like and how do you get rid of it? also what causes it? How long does it take to get rid of it?

daydreamingacres

I believe it i s a fungus... It is a bunch of scabs all over the body. To get rid of it take a curry comb and as bad as it sounds pull all the scabs off. Then you can give an anti-fungal bath...Also the MTG (i think that is what it is called) it is a hirse product works well. But you have to open up the sores. It is contagious so dont put anything in the same pen. I had two horses get it really bad from a saddle pad a few years ago. it can take a few weeks depending on the severity.

daydreamingacres

if you have hair growing back where the scabs were shoudl be ok.... just watch out for new spots. No problem....I hope mad HORRIBLE experience helps you out. be sure to anit-fungal your brushes to if you havent already.

Malinda

I am not a vet, but I do not believe rain rot is a fungus; it is bacterial. It usually appears on their tops, around tail heads, on the top of the shoulders. I have seen it some on the legs and hocks. It will be in areas that are getting wet and staying wet......out in the rain or not getting dry enough if you are blowing the animal out after rinsing or bathing. Cattle with very thick hair are more prone to getting it.

Take a comb and scrape off the loose skin, scabs and loose hair and then shampoo with Betadine Shampoo. You will need to leave the shampoo on for a few minutes before rinsing it off.

You need to rule out lice. Lice can cause hair loss in any area but you notice hair loss the most in areas where the animal can rub against things. You can dust them with louse powder or use a pour on.

The Betadine Shampoo or louse products can be found at TSC.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Malinda

daydreamingacres

Thank you melinda....it appears to act like a fungus and a bacteria. here are some websites about horse rain rot..
http://www.equusite.com/articles/health/healthRainRot.shtml
http://www.alphahorse.com/rain-rot.html

but they can help...sory for the misinformation

justme

If you search past posts....I think Red battled it last year with her Red heifer she took to the expo.  maybe give her a yell.

red

it is a bacteria. The hair gets damp & doesn't dry out & a bacteria forms. On mine it was very red & ozzy. The hair came out in huge clumps.
1. give PNC
2. dry area throughly
3. put a light product on sores like baby oil
4. keep hair very dry

good luck, it's not fun!

Red

3GCC

thanks. already called vet yesterday but cant come untill mon afternoon. good articals daydreamingacres.i was told by a freind to put teat dip on it to help. they went through it a couple of years ago.thanks again for all the help.

Nasc

We have fought rain rot this season, it is no fun.

We used Red’s advice and got it under control.

The only thing done a little different was we used M.T.G. instead of baby oil.

Keeping them dry is essential, even after you get it under control.

Good Luck

red

the main thing is to use something that is not too thick. you need to keep the air moving. I trimmed back some of the hair around the area just to get the flow of air better. One consulation is that it usually happens to cattle w/ super thick hair. Mine was a cheery bomb & she had the thickest, tightest hair ever.

Red