? about who to breed cows to

Help Support Steer Planet:

HT

I am buying three SimAngus cows (I don't have any pics yet) I would like to use a clubby bull or good simmental bull on them, they are moderate framed, long, clean fronted for simmi cross cows, and fairly thick. Any suggestions would help. They have all had a calf before.
Thanks in advance,
HT

LN

Do you know anything about their pedigrees? What plans do you have in mind for the calves? That would help with suggesting a sire that would work for you.

HT

I would like to sell the calves as show calves to other 4-H and FFA students. I am unsure about the bloodlines. I know that they have calves out of a Gold Mine son right now.

OH Breeder

HT said:
I am buying three SimAngus cows (I don't have any pics yet) I would like to use a clubby bull or good simmental bull on them, they are moderate framed, long, clean fronted for simmi cross cows, and fairly thick. Any suggestions would help. They have all had a calf before.
Thanks in advance,
HT

This is the way I read your post, you either want to roll the dice and are brave (clubby) or you want something consistent and dependable ( purebred).  ;)

If it were me and you have the stomach for it, heat wave x meyer's have cleaned up in the steers in our neck of the woods. It seems to click. There is a whole host of new bulls if you are interested in being the first to try them. If you are going to shoot for females or heifers with clubby bulls, Who Made Who depending on how the cows are built Hannibal and or Dr Who. The kids and I rolled the dice and tried Heat Seeker and Heat Wave this year on two cows. THe cows are looking like pumpkins and I think we have some biggin's coming but both cows have had at least 4 calves.

If I were to go Simmental there are a ton of threads on good bulls that are Simmi. You have alot of choices that could give you a steer or heifer.

Post some pics of your cows. Not sure if that helps.

Bulldaddy

I just got started breeding some of my cows clubby so there are many others who will have better suggestions.  That said, I have had good luck with Who Made Who on my SimAngus cows.  Also, I have used 3-C Macho, a purebred Simmental, and got some good ones. Both of these bulls are clean so you don't have to worry about TH and PHA.  Recently, I stepped out a bit and used Walks Alone and Monopoly but both are TH carriers.  Good luck!