AccuBreed by Estrotect

Help Support Steer Planet:

Skibinski Farms

With breeding season approaching, has anyone used the AccuBreed by Estrotect? Just wondering if its something worth trying? Our conception rates have been really good in the past but this year they slipped especially on the cows. We were 80% on the heifers this year and 50% on cows. Not sure if it was the year or we just flat out missed our timing with the cows. I'm thinking this could be a great product for us since our cows are out on a small pasture during breeding season and our heifers are locked up in the corral which makes the heifers easier to heat detect. Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated thanks!

CLC

I have used estrotect the last 2 breeding seasons and I believe that they have paid for their use. I have about 30 cows and work off the farm to. It has made heat detection simple and straight forward.

kiblercattle

I use them on my fall cows due to the fact that I leave in the dark and get home in the dark and they are super easy to see with a flashlight. I think they work pretty good just don't breed unless they are solid. You want to be sure that they are warm when you put them on so the glue sticks better and don't get them to far ahead or they won't get rubbed. I had a friend that has used the kamar patches and they don't work as good in his opinions rubbing on a fence or anything can make them look ready to breed.

hntwhitetail

I think he is talking about the wireless detection system they sell.  I use the patches along w spray paint in case they fall off.  I think i didnt have the glue warm enough and a few tore them off by their mouth.  I am going to try the 3m 77 adhesive along with paint.

savaged

I think if your operation is large enough to justify the costs, or is cost is not a factor, then it may be worth a shot.  If you are breeding less than 30 or so then I think that there are better and very reliable methods you can use, including the Estrotect rub-off patches.  You are correct that timing is a huge factor.

Skibinski Farms

Thanks for the responses, Yes I was talking about the wireless system that transmits each mount to your computer and records the data. We use the rub off patches and they work good just thinking this would give you a better idea of when they actually start and stop riding. I think I read a post on here a couple years ago from "Cowboy" If I remember right he says he AI 6-8 hours after they completely stop riding (laying down and chewing there cud). We do the AM/PM check and breed the next AM/PM. I know some stand longer or shorter than others so in Cowboy's theory knowing when they start and stop riding would help with the timing of ovulation. With ovulation 8-16 hours after estrous, part of me thinks we may have been late on some of these cows. We AI around 70 heifers and 30 cows a year. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this system and if it helped or made your conception rates better and if its worth that extra cost.

The other thing we were thinking about was an AI box. How many people use one? thanks

ai er

Appears to me that this is the HeatWatch system which has been out for years.  I don't know the cost, which would be the determining factor.  From my experience, you are more likely to breed a cow too early than too late.