Accusations of cheating at fairs

Help Support Steer Planet:

4hfamily

I am thinking we were participants at the same 4H County fair this week.  Our steer placed near the bottom of the pack, and we have no hard feelings about the placement.  This is a subjectively judged event, and a grand champ by one judge can be third or fourth by another.  We've heard the rumors surrounding the Grand Champion steer, and also have no reason to believe that this poster is guilty...I'm sure rumors of this sort go around frequently.

Rumor or not, I respect the actions of the fair board by trying to ensure fairness in the competition.  Rather than demanding an apology from a board who is merely doing its job, my advice would be to offer your assistance to them and give them what they need to squash these rumors.  Rise above the controversy, put the egos aside, and show your kids that 4H leaders can work with the fair board to resolve problems in a "grown-up" manner.

farmboy

well when you win grand and reserve next year what will they say?  ;D usually what i say about people who want to start stuff is  <cowboy><cowboy> <cowboy> <cowboy> em

BH Showcattle

The fairboard is only doing its job if they follow there own procedure and its clear to most involved that they didn't we tried getting them to pull his dna as every steer that's tag for the state fair has to have this done and the refused. And there were numerous people in the barn that could identify the steer as the same steer the girl has shown all year. So please atleast know the facts from our end not what the fair board tells u we said here it from us before you say we souldnt want an apology.

RSC

BH Showcattle said:
The fairboard is only doing its job if they follow there own procedure and its clear to most involved that they didn't we tried getting them to pull his dna as every steer that's tag for the state fair has to have this done and the refused. And there were numerous people in the barn that could identify the steer as the same steer the girl has shown all year. So please atleast know the facts from our end not what the fair board tells u we said here it from us before you say we souldnt want an apology.
Does this Young Gal deserve an apology?  Absolutely!  Will it really accomplish anything?  Is she up to the added publicity it will take to get the apology?  There are fairboards like this all over the country and yes I'm almost bald from pulling my hair out over the actions of fairboards!  Most County fairs I attend have a high percentage of kids showing that don't attend any other shows the rest of the year!  They don't understand that the reason that most that are winning is due to hard work year round!  Some of these parents end up being on the Fairboards without a clue on how it all really works!  Most of the parents of these children approach it with the attitude that all people on top have to be cheating instead of my child needs to figure out how to work like those on top to compete!

Being on top in anything in life is not always glamorous!  Anytime you are on top the insecure will accuse rather than applaud most of the time!  You can spend time trying to change the attitude or just move on and understand this is not going to change so why fight it!  I don't blame you if you do try to resolve this with the Fairboard but is it worth the effort!  With the work ethic you and her parents have taught her with her project there is a good chance she will be on top in her profession someday and someone will be jealous and accusing her of cheating to get there!  She will look back and understand that she has been there before and all she can do is keep improving on what she is good at and let the jealous spend the time accusing! 

Tony