Ace Of Diamonds Now Available in the Canadian Market!

Help Support Steer Planet:

sigsigns

For those fellow shorthorn breeders to the north, Ace of Diamonds is now available thru Semex Canada. The first shipment is leaving Nichols soon so contact your Canadian Semex Distributor to place you orders. Happy Breeding Season to all. The Vogel Family.

CAB

Very good bull IMO. I have seen him multiple times this spring @ Nichols Cyro Genetics the winter/ spring in the quarantine barn.

justintime

Good question ShadyLane. I tried to calculate his percentage in Canada for a friend who was wanting to buy an Ace of Diamonds heifer in the US. He has Maine scattered through his pedigree in a few places and I was not sure what he would end up being registered in Canada. As close as I can tell, his calves will not be high enough percentage to show or sell in breed sanctioned events in Canada.... but I do hope I am wrong. Ace of Diamonds is a great breeding bull, and if he is available, I probably will use him even if I could not show or sell his progeny at breed events.

Shady Lane

I couldn't find an extended pedigree online since the search function seems to not be working at the ASA.

When it is back up I will do my best to calculate a percentage for him.

justintime

I will try to find his pedigree and check  it out as well. In regards to my previous post, I think the heifer I was calculating the percentage also had some Maine on the bottom side of her pedigree, so I may have been wrong in stating that Ace of Diamonds calves would not be high enough percentage to show or sell in Canada. If I am wrong, this would be the second time I have been wrong. The first time I was wrong, I thought I was wrong... but wasn't.... haha !

Dale

kane1598 said:
How does AOD look now mature for those of you that have seen him?

AOD is a very sound, straight, stylish bull.  We saw him in his "working clothes" out with cows last July.  We will be sampling him this year.  What really counts is how they breed, and he is siring some of the best.

Shady Lane

justintime said:
I will try to find his pedigree and check  it out as well. In regards to my previous post, I think the heifer I was calculating the percentage also had some Maine on the bottom side of her pedigree, so I may have been wrong in stating that Ace of Diamonds calves would not be high enough percentage to show or sell in Canada. If I am wrong, this would be the second time I have been wrong. The first time I was wrong, I thought I was wrong... but wasn't.... haha !

The search function is working again on the ASA website, I took a few minutes and crashed through his pedigree quickly. Being pressed for time I wasn't able to research in depth but a quick look pegs his pedigree to me at 29/32 Shorthorn or 90.6%

While Ace of Diamonds would not qualify to show in Canada as he does not mee the 15/16 required blood level, it should mean that his progeny, both bulls and heifers should be eligible to show in Canada when mated to "Purebred" females that are 15/16 or higher.

Take it with a grain of salt, but that's how his pedigree appears to me at a quick glance.

I would strongly reccomend getting him registered with the Canadian Association ASAP if you are planning on selling semen in Canada.

I think you should be good to go!

aj

I'm with you dale. Its how they breed not how they look. ,Wasn't Trump sold into a commercial herd,bought back after some of the calves were seen. The same with the Mission bull of Cagwins.That why it is such an interesting deal cause you can have two brothers breeding differently.

sue

aj said:
I'm with you dale. Its how they breed not how they look. ,Wasn't Trump sold into a commercial herd,bought back after some of the calves were seen. The same with the Mission bull of Cagwins.That why it is such an interesting deal cause you can have two brothers breeding differently.
Mission bred by byland - sold to commerical guy and resold to purebred guy and then traded back to Cagwin???
I dont know the story behind Trump - but it's kinda cool that he was never shown just breeds the right kind for show?? You see alot of national champs come and go but Trump just keeps making em. Either way both bulls bred naturally for a very long time and frankly that impressing the heck out of me.
Sorry did not mean to hijack the AOD thread - just saw a few calves for the first time a few weeks ago and they looked like they will grow and grow. Great hair too.

sigsigns

We have heard back from the Canadian Assoc. regarding Ace's blood %. They have determined it to be 87.1% Shorthorn. All other requirements for registration in Canada are in process and the first semen left for Semex Canada last week.

justintime

sigsigns said:
We have heard back from the Canadian Assoc. regarding Ace's blood %. They have determined it to be 87.1% Shorthorn. All other requirements for registration in Canada are in process and the first semen left for Semex Canada last week.

At 87.1 %, this means his daughters out of purebred cows will be eligible to show in Canada, but his sons will not. Bulls have to be 15/16 or 93.75 % to show in Canada, and AOD's sons out of purebred cows will be 93.55 %.
Canada remains the only country in the world that does not accept these cattle at similar percentage values. The Coates herdbook in Britain, the Australian, New Zealand, and South African herd books accept US Shorthorns at face value percentages. It is becoming a major nightmare for many breeders in Canada to determine what percentage an American animal they are interested in, will be in the Canadian herd book. I get many, many phone calls every year, asking me to help them determine this, and it is oftentimes extremely hard to do. I wish this could be resolved, but I am fearful this is a long ways off yet.

Hilltop

Wish it was here already! We have 2 or 3 females we would use him on but they will be cycling again in the next 3 or 4 days and I called Semex this am and they have not received it yet. With the weather being the way it is we may do less AI work this year. Our AI technician is wanting to let the bulls do more anyway. (Momma Hilltop)
We really thought the Ace of Diamonds females in the NO BULL sale were excellent females.
His percentage will not deter us from using him or any other bull that we believe will work for us and pass on traits we are looking for in our herd.
As for a change in the regulations for a bull to be 15/16 or 93.75% to show I would like it to stay the way it is even though we have appendix breeding. JMO

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
Hilltop said:
Wish it was here already! We have 2 or 3 females we would use him on but they will be cycling again in the next 3 or 4 days and I called Semex this am and they have not received it yet. With the weather being the way it is we may do less AI work this year. Our AI technician is wanting to let the bulls do more anyway. (Momma Hilltop)
We really thought the Ace of Diamonds females in the NO BULL sale were excellent females.
His percentage will not deter us from using him or any other bull that we believe will work for us and pass on traits we are looking for in our herd.
As for a change in the regulations for a bull to be 15/16 or 93.75% to show I would like it to stay the way it is even though we have appendix breeding. JMO

I agree with you Hilltop.............IMO the appendix program is there to breed cattle up in percenatage.........not down........In my area the commercial herds are a Heinz 57 already.........that makes it pretty hard to sell a bull to a commercial breeder if you tell him he's getting a crossbred. JMO

sigsigns

It is official!!!!! Ace of Diamonds is now registered in Canada. He enters their registry as a 90.7% sire. If bred to Purebred females they will register as purebred cattle. Semen is available in Canada thru Semex or Gordon Crawford.