Added New Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

sawboss

I just finished a deal for a new heifer for my oldest son.  She is 3/4 Maine-Anjou sired by Hard Core x Sizzler cow purchased from the Derouchey sale in February.  She was born in May and has justed been weaned, picked her up through a partner of McGowan's Black Genetics in Oklahoma.  My oldest son will be excited to hear about the new addition to his Maine string of girls.  His Ali heifer is really coming along" huge top" and starting to grow her hair back.  He is starting to enjoy the girls more than the steers, he says they have better attitudes, well at least the bovine species.

DL

sawboss said:
I just finished a deal for a new heifer for my oldest son.  She is 3/4 Maine-Anjou sired by Hard Core x Sizzler cow purchased from the Derouchey sale in February.  She was born in May and has justed been weaned, picked her up through a partner of McGowan's Black Genetics in Oklahoma.  My oldest son will be excited to hear about the new addition to his Maine string of girls.  His Ali heifer is really coming along" huge top" and starting to grow her hair back.  He is starting to enjoy the girls more than the steers, he says they have better attitudes, well at least the bovine species.

Easy there big fella! Remember hockey night in Canada (lol) (lol)

Actually I was thinking about this kind of thread - with most of my cows,  no matter who you breed them to, the males (or females) are always puppy dog like and the opposite sex is always more high strung  - so for example with Bessie all her heifers are puppy dogs and her males are higher strung and with Bossie all her males are puppy dogs and all her heifers higher strung - anybody noticed that?

sawboss

I was just repeating the insights of a 14 yr. old boy, I learned a long time ago not to "disturb the force" when it comes to the fairer sex.  The motto around our house is "If Mom is not happy, then nobody is happy".  She must be watching hockey, because she doesn't fight fair either.

red

I don't know- it seems that the offspring of my red cow are all pretty mellow no matter what their sex is. I have a Habanero cow that is truely the black witch of our road. Her calves are alll similar to her especially her heifers. The bulls have been OK. Another cow has only had heifers & they have all been big pets/pests.
I know that in the jersey breed, the cows are very gentle while the bulls are really mean. I also thought they over compenstated for their size.

Red

DL

farmboy said:
i finally found 2 non-crazy heifers after 2 years, needless to say i am happy
congrats walrus - and where are the pictures??

Joe Boy

I have two Ali bulls and they let me walk right up to them in pasture.  I will wean them in November and then find out how good they are to handle.

My three bulls that are on feed.  One is a Limited Edition and he does not want me to touch him but is otherwise gentle.  I have the Lifeline who is a puppy dog.  I have one out of my Witch Doctor/Legacy Plus who does not trust me in the feeding room with him yet, but isn't wild.

When I bought my first registered heifers for the kids to show I was ignorant and lost money and had lots of wrecks.  The people who trimmed the feet hated to see us coming and the kids nearly lost interest.  The second group, I asked to see their moms and went to several pastures.  I picked the heifers that I could walk around their mothers, me being a total stranger to the cow.  I hit the nail on the head with them.  Looks were not as important as disposition.

Every body is amazed at how easy all my cattle handle.  Even the vet ask me if he can hit them with a hot shot since they will not walk into the chute.  They just stand there.

BEST WISHES.....

Rocky Hill Simmental

I have better luck showing heifers. Sometimes when their in heat they act like they have no sense at all - but others act great even if they are in heat.

I've only shown 1 steer.. gentlest thing at home, he was raised on a bottle and everything. I actually got him free as long as I promised to show him. The news people interviewed me about him and was filming him in the ring while I was showing him and he didn't like the camra in his face so he'd just try to walk away from the camra while I was trying to line him up... he wasn't jumping or acting goofy or anything, he was just walking away from the camra. But my mom recorded the news from TV for me and they edited made it look like he was listening better.  ;D

Good luck on your new heifer!