Advantages of early sales

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

I am looking for the advantage(s)/disadvantages of the early calf sales (May - July) for the 2009 show season compared to the post Labor Day fall sales that are usually the norm for the next show season.  I know we are in the middle of our current show season (with out county/state fair still to go) and haven't even thought about next year yet, but I am curious if this is the new trend to sales and/or the new trend to purchase for the next season?  Any help/info. would be appreciated.

Jill

This does seem to be the trend, and I guess I really don't like it.  You can get them bought for cheaper now, but you take a much bigger gamble,  structure issues just get worse as calves get bigger, some things you may not notice now look much different with several hundred more pounds.  I guess for my money I would rather pay a little more and be 4 months down the road development wise and be a little more sure of what I am getting for my money. 
From a breeder side, if you can get your money now and have them guaranteed sold in May or June more power to you, it sure would reduce the stress level.

bcosu

this is quite a dilemma because you could really help or hurt yourself buying early. selling late can help you if you take them to a few shows and advertise them as class winners and what not. but, you might have a good looking calf that doesn't do the best at a show and is probably worth more than people offer. if you can sell a poorly structured calf a little early when it's not too bad, that may be a little underhanded but it is the buyers choice. either way it could be good or bad. you might also take into account feed bills and amount of pasture while you are at it.

red

I'm scared to price calves to early. They can change so rapidly. You can have a late bloomer that knock your socks off & you sold it too cheap. Or you can have one that looks great now but falls apart or has structural problems down the road. I'd hate to sell a kid a calf that went lame on them later.

Red

kanshow

I think it is hard to price and sell calves early.  Like everyone says, too many of the good ones fall apart and some of the others really surprise you when they come around.   

However, from a buyer's standpoint - I'd rather know I had a good calf bought before they get picked over.   

shortyjock89

I agree.  If we buy a calf early, it will probably be the best calf that we buy that year.  That's just because the really good ones look good from the get go I think.  Our calves that look best at birth and at 3 months usually look best all the way through.  We will have a sleeper or two in the group usually that will come on maybe a little later, but like I said, our top stuff looks the part from the beginning.

afhm

There were not near as many early sales this year as there have been in the past few years.  Genereally the earlier the sale there are more traders and less families buying the calves.  So who you want to sell to could influence your choice of sale date.  The one of the biggest advantage I see to an early sale is if you don't sell them in May/June you still have all summer and fall to sell them.  The other is you don't get lost in the crowd during the September sale marathon.  I know it is easy to miss an ad in those August issues and not see it until after the sale is over no matter how many times you flip through the magazines.