Advice and opinions on my 2011 Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bradenh

fed_champions said:
His heartgirth should be fine, and so will his flank. These are very nitpicky opinions, epecially on  steer as nice as yours. I have been around a lot of very good cattle and this one,going to a county fair in Pennsylvania, should have no problems. He is a great deal better than the one that used to be in u profile pic. Good job an good luck to you.
yes he is a very good calf none the less, what i was saying earlier was picking on a very complete calf. wayyyyy better than the black baldy

PaFFA Proud

Show stopper 95 said:
fed_champions said:
His heartgirth should be fine, and so will his flank. These are very nitpicky opinions, epecially on  steer as nice as yours. I have been around a lot of very good cattle and this one,going to a county fair in Pennsylvania, should have no problems. He is a great deal better than the one that used to be in u profile pic. Good job an good luck to you.
yes he is a very good calf none the less, what i was saying earlier was picking on a very complete calf. wayyyyy better than the black baldy
What black baldy?

Bradenh

oh was it you or another pennsylvania person who had a black baldy calf lol my bad  (lol). the one that looked american

vc

When you go to switch feed, we like to start by adding 2 pounds of new and subtracting 2 pounds old every couple days until we have totally switched over to the new.

When you start ramping them up, add about a 1/2 pound a feeding (1 pound a day) every three or four days, I like to make sure I am adding pro-bios at the same time to help keep the gut right. You do this until you reach the disired amount you want to be feeding. You need to watch and make sure everything with the animal is fine if they start getting  loose or go off their feed you need to back off and start over. it should take about 2 to 3 weeks if you are trying to go from  2 percent to 3 percent body weight on a 800 pound steer. Make sure they are getting adequate hay and water as well.

Each animal is different, just be obsevent when upping the feed and take your time. We never really feed more than 25 pounds of grain a day with our steers but there are some that can eat more and still convert efficiently.

Good luck

hannahbanana

PaFFA Proud said:
Lol I would try the leaf blower idea if we had one...but we live in a treeless open field. And thanks fed champs..our county fair isnt much competition..and there is only 2 others I think will be true competition agianst mine:)

That other competition would be MEEE haha

hannahbanana

PaFFA Proud said:
Lol I would try the leaf blower idea if we had one...but we live in a treeless open field. And thanks fed champs..our county fair isnt much competition..and there is only 2 others I think will be true competition agianst mine:)

That other competition would be MEEE haha