advice on breaking show steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

joshua0890

i have a 950pd Angus show steer.  it is insane, kicks when anyones in the pen,  goes nuts when anyone tries to groom it. does anyone have any advice or tips on how to tame it down, get it used to people or getting it halter broke?

BCCC

SRU said:
start 6 months ago!
HEY NOW, that would take ALL the fun out of breakign a calf. I would say startwith putting him in a smaller pen, and get him used to you, and go from their by getting a halter on him

Bawndoh

Ditto on that!  It depends on how much time you have, but you might have to spend a month (in that pen) letting him get used to you.  When time allows, you should let your calf decide when it is ready for a halter, not you!
Get him in a sizeable pen...one where he is unsure of you, but he will still eat (his grain).  Each day just sit on a pail or something off in the distance (in the pen).  Get closer and closer until he is uncomfortable (stops eating grain).  Then just back off a BIT and let him get back to eating.  The next day repeat.  Always get closer and closer while letting him be comfortable enough with you that he will still eat.  You may be able to progress to a much smaller pen....say 20x20 feet.  Stand in this smaller pen and do the same as with the pail.  Get closer and closer.  NEVER push the calf so that he is crazy/uncomfortable/charging!!  If he is, then you have to go back to that larger pen. 
In the small one, step closer to him sideways.  To cattle, the smaller you appear, the less threatening you are.  Otherwise (to them) you look like a predator attacking them.
For example, you get to the point where you are in a 20x20 pen.  Put him in there, put his grain in the middle and let him start eating it.  Stand off to the side of the pen and let him eat a few bites.  Then....oh, also, NEVER look them in the eye....looks like a predator attacking them.  Then...slowly apprach him in a calm manner stepping sideways.  If he is ok, step closer.  Inch by inch his flight zone will decrease.  If he becomes uncomfortable and steps away from his grain, then you step back just a few inches/feet as well (you have entered his flight zone).  He will go back to his feed.  Stay wherever you were when you took that one step back, and talk to him, reach your arm out.  Make suttle movements/talk to someone so that your steer gets accompanied to your voice/movements/sounds. 
This alone may have taken 1/2 an hour.  ALWAYS leave on a good note, NEVER push the steer so much that he is climbing up the walls cause you will have to start back at square 1...where you are now.  Work on him for 15-30 minutes at a time.  They are like youngins, they have a short attention span.  Say 15 minutes in the morning feeding, and then maybe another 15-30 after school/work, then another 15 later.  Depends how he is feeling or how he is progressing. 
When they get really nervous they urinate or poop frequently cause cattle cant sweat!  And they sure as heck dont get butterflies in their stomach.  You must realize that if you mess up and push him to the limit it takes 20 minutes for their heart rate to go back to normal, AND you almost always wreak everything you have done, and have to start all over.
Cattle really vary, I have done this whole process in 1 day, and sometimes it can take over a month, even more.
Anyhow, you will get to the point where he is comfortable with you scratchin him (start at the shoulders/withers) as this iswhere they are most comfortable with you touching them, and you can prevent gettin kicked from here.  Spend time scratching/touching him all over his body.  Spend lots of time doing this.  The more you spend here, the less you spend fighting with him on the halter, cause he will already be a big puppy dog.  The first time you put the halter on, just let him get used to the feel and weight of the halter, and take it off.  Dont try leading him til about the 5th time you have put the halter on.
OK, I have a second part to this whole scheme, but I will type it tomorrow.  If you dont even want to go this route, then tell me and I will save the time. 

knabe

the flight zone is the most important concept.  it works best if they put it around you rather than you always trying to enter it.

kicking.  kicking is effective and they see they reaction it gets, you move away.  best thing there is to recognize WHERE you are when they kick and don't be there.

be there inside the arch of their body when they are looking at you.  like mentioned, don't stare them down. 

back off  what ever you are doing before they do.  getting in that last scratch, pet, look whatever, just reinforces in their mind that whatever they did to make you stop worked.

notice they way they breath, are they blowing air, are they lowering their head in a stiff manner?

animals learn by habit, and they learn quick.  think smaller rewards of progress for yourself and don't worry about the animal so much.

it's very important you don't lead them the first time you put the halter on as they will learn to move their head away, run etc.

gotta think ahead.

Bawndoh

So yes, Knabe is absolutley right!  Kicking is a form of protection.  Cattle kick when they feel threatened.  So if you force a calf into a chute, throw a halter on, and "force" it to like you, its NOT going to happen!!!  Cattle will kick even more when they are nervous.
I have had some calves that I used my method on, and they werent kickers, or crazy, but they just got very irritated and nervous every time I approached them (while they were tied up), but then they would calm down once they realized it was me.  They were a disaster for the judge to analyze because as soon as the judge would get behind the calf, the calf would spin his butt away, so that he could see where the judge was.  This is all a sign of my method being pushed too fast, and as a result I got those bad nervous side effects from the calves.  I understand that some people just dont have 2 months to spend doing what I am talking about, so sometimes, you have to move on (progress faster through the steps), and just get to the show.  You will ALWAYS have problems if you do this...but you gotta do what you gotta do!!

Think of it this way...on Steerplanet, and for many other people I know personally, they think donkeys/tractors/quads/trailers/chain halters are Gods gift to them for halterbreaking.
If I threw YOU in a cage (stall)/squeeze chute), forced a metal halter on your face, tied you up to a moving object, and FORCED you to move, would you like me?
This seems rediculous, but its true.  My method is just like trying to make new friends at work/school.  First you introduce yourself.  Then you invite them for coffee/meal.  Then you go to a party/social event together.  Then you go home and tell your parents/spouse how excited you are about the progress.  Then you invite them to your home.  Then before you know it you have a new best friend and you are buying cattle together!!!  Ha Ha (lol).

showgirl2010

I would try everything everyone else has said, but if you have access to a mule or donkey hook them up.  Put a halter on the steer and a girt around the mules neck loose enough to where it can swivel on the mules neck.  Hook them together halter to neck with a strong rope that is about a foot long NO LONGER.  Put them in a pen with nothing in it so neither is harmed.  Leave them there surpervised for about an hour a day for about a week and see if the calf can lead. 

We have done that with all of our steers and been sucessful with all but one.  He did not like the mule but did let us lead him. 

I would not cut out spending time with him and doing the other things everyone else suggested, but the mule/donkey is a real nice way to break them to lead.  Not only do they lead but they have a very sound walk to them when hooked to a mule/donkey.

Jamie

ba

Put him in the stall let him get used to the surrounding.Hand feed water so
he knows where the groceries come from. Take show stick or light house broom
scratch rub for a pretty good amount of time.HE will run around in circles but will
slow down and find out that you not going to be much of threat OR harm him.
Put stereo turned up to get used to noises . {law only been here twice with the
barn loaded}I try to make the m{bomb proof }After tied for awhile start leading to
water for the reward of a drink.Then maybe time for water therapyyou do not
have to him perfect on the hair just get the calf used to you and he
will settle down

Ok Jason talked of cow whisperer I believer that that sense your temperament
and over time you can sense them and there attitude and read out what there next
move is. You lean what they are thinking.

kimbaljd

Try this site out. I bought one of his video's. He does a pretty good job and it works.

http://www.showsteers.com/Dvorak/index.htm