Advice/Opinions of Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

fordkindagirl

Ok, I know he's not the greatest, but I was pick 30 out of 44. Be honest, I know he's not purple banner material. He does toe out quite a bit, but he was worse and has had one correctional hoof trimming ( and will have one more in Jan.). This is the only decent recent pic I have of him, and yes its a funny angle. He is for a show on Feb. 3 and it's a school district show. Weighed 1227 on Dec. 11.

Advice on making him better is much appreciated!!

Attachments

• 018resized.jpg
    018resized.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 313

vc

I would try and get some more guts on him, It appears that the fat deposits are developing on the tail so that is a good thing. I hope he is on a low protein finisher by this point? I would add some beetpulp to his feed and start feeding him a little more hay to get that belly to fill. He is not a bad fat steer, I would just work at softening him up some, he still looks a little coarse. We have what they call Oat-Mo which is a chopped oat hay and molasses blend that we add the beetpulp with, it looks like the fillers, it is just cheaper and helps fill that gut. We give this to them in the morning along with their grain instead  of hay, they get free choice hay at night (we feed a forage hay).

fordkindagirl

vc said:
I would try and get some more guts on him, It appears that the fat deposits are developing on the tail so that is a good thing. I hope he is on a low protein finisher by this point? I would add some beetpulp to his feed and start feeding him a little more hay to get that belly to fill. He is not a bad fat steer, I would just work at softening him up some, he still looks a little coarse. We have what they call Oat-Mo which is a chopped oat hay and molasses blend that we add the beetpulp with, it looks like the fillers, it is just cheaper and helps fill that gut. We give this to them in the morning along with their grain instead  of hay, they get free choice hay at night (we feed a forage hay).
I've tried putting him on beet pulp but he can't take it, its give him really bad scours. I thinks is the molasses in it but we can't get it locally without molasses. He is on 2 scoops of cs hulls daily, but I've been thinkin of buying a hay thing that holds a whole square bale and just givin him free choice hay. Do you think that would work? And I feed coastal hay. And I just put him on Power Phat cause I agree he needs to soften up.

showsteerdlux

fordkindagirl said:
vc said:
I've tried putting him on beet pulp but he can't take it, its give him really bad scours. I thinks is the molasses in it but we can't get it locally without molasses. He is on 2 scoops of cs hulls daily, but I've been thinkin of buying a hay thing that holds a whole square bale and just givin him free choice hay. Do you think that would work? And I feed coastal hay. And I just put him on Power Phat cause I agree he needs to soften up.
You could use Full Tank, Apex (Umbargers), Ruma Fill or some other similar product, that would work better than beet pulp anyways. The CS hulls are good, keeps that belly going good. I really wouldn't put him on unlimited hay, I think that causes more problems on steers that size than it does help them but that is JMO.

vc

When I say free chioce hay, we feed a big flake (4-6 inches thick) of forage hay per calf.  We have had a calf gain 2.5 pounds a day off of beetpulp and forage hay when we were trying to hold him had to go to bermuda hay,  the other steer was gaining 2.7 on full feed at the same time. Some animals just convert.

Our beetpulp also knowen as EZ-Fill is a mix of Beet Pulp Shreds, Recleaned Oats (fancy), Soy Hull Pellets (Not more than 12.0%), Molasses.
Guaranteed Analysis:
CRUDE PROTIEN(Min) 8.0%
CRUDE FAT (Min) 2.5%
CRUDE FIBER (Max) 16.4%
ASH (Max) 5.1%
Just enough molasses so that it is not dry. Calves really like it.

cornershack

fordkindagirl said:
vc said:
how fast did you add the beetpulp? and i figure your feeding it wet. is it shreds or pellets? with any feed add it slow over a couple weeks

BrechtCattleCo

You have time to add some hair! If you can add some hair he will look flasshy and more styleish and showy. Yes i know you dont eat the hair but it makes steer look more presentable and then you can pull the hair up on his legs and make him appear to have more bone. If you have any other questions let me know! Glad to help

fordkindagirl

Beet pulp was added slowly, and had him on it for 3 months, scours the whole time! And most of the barn I'm in is concrete. I took him off it and within 3 days he was solid. And he gets at least 6 flakes a day ( a good 6 inches twice a day) but he still has the tubular look. And @BrechtCattleCo my show is a slick show! In fact he was slicked 2 wks ago, I slicked him so I "could see what I'm workin with", and it doesn't get cold in this part of TX (winter here is mid 70's).

And I fed it slightly damp, and it was shreds. (the beet pulp) I also tried Full Tank after the beet pulp, added it slowly (worked up to full amount over a month) and same situation as the beet pulp. He had coccidiosis (not sure I spelled that right lol) when I first got him so his digestive system is a lil out of whack.

@ Vc realized I didn't answer your question about the finisher. He is on 26 lbs of Acco Showmaster Finisher a day.

farmin female

I don't think he's a bad steer, but I agee some guts would help.  If he is having gut problems, pour some probiotics to him.  Also a bloat or rumensin block may help.  Happy gut, happy calf.