Aflatoxin

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

In our part of Iowa we're hearing about aflatoxin in corn. Most publications talk about the dangers of feeding it to pregnant swine. What about feeding it to cattle? Also, is this just a problem with the grain itself or does a person have to worry about the stalks too? We round bale stalks and tube grind them with hay and syrup from an ethanol plant.

red

I'd be very cautious about feeding it to pregnant cattle. You can determine if the corn is affected by putting it under a black light. If it glows greenish gold you might have a problem. I try to stay from all moldy forages & grains & bred animals. I think horses are also very susceptible.

Red

steermaker

Not sure how aflatoxin affects ruminants, but it will kill simple stomached animals, such as swine.  Where I work we deal with raw and roasted peanuts and aflatoxin is a big deal. 

Show Heifer

From first hand experience: Aflotoxin and Zeralonone will screw up heifers and cows BIG TIME. If you want details let me know, but let me tell ya, it screwed up my heifers that were cycling PERFECTLY before, then got some bad feed  and BAM, some of them took 90 days OFF feed to "normalize" and get bred. 
OUCH!

ba

Kent make a product called integra40 that is supposed to bond with molds to
keep them from absorbing the toxins.We learned the hard way on this on heifers
about 4 years ago. I feel while feeding calves this is a cheep  product  because
when you are having a custom grind &mix corn comes from different sources
and if you buy hay it vary from source to source. It may not be a cure all
but feel it helps. We are the feed mills worst nightmere because i got Burnt bad
once and it hurt bad so watch your feed it dose make a difference in the end