After Show Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

herf4ever

One of my steers this year seems to get stiff after shows once returning home. He also gets stiff if he lays down for long times at the shows but he is able to walk it out. What is causing the stiffness after the show? Also he seems to be very lethargic and tired at shows and even the day after...overall he is sound just gets stiff. Is there anything I can give him to boost his energy he tends to even lay down in the ring while showing.

AAOK

Sounds like he might not be getting enough exercise.  Do you turn him out to a larger area at night?  Give him about 4 Aspirin (not Tylenol) one hour before show time to take care of the inflamation in his joints.

herf4ever

Our Pasture isnt ready for the cattle to be let out. I raise mine at the school so some options are limited.

rackranch

Make certain you have plenty of padding and shavings in your trailer when you haul.  Put down a layer, soak them with water, and then repeat.  We try to have 4-6 inches of shavings packed in our trailer all the time.  When you get to a show if you can see the floor you need more.  Once yopur at the show let him relax as much as possible.  I know its hard to get the timing right but I see so many people getting their calves ready way to soon...

vc

If you do not have the area to turn him out at night then you'll need to make sure you walk him for at least a half hour a day if not an hour, this will help build some stamina as well as keep his joints and muscles loose.
You may also want to try and add some Natural Stride to his feed as well. The exercise is the most important though.
As far as laying down in the ring, how long do you tie him with his head up per day? A combination of tying him with his head up for at least an hour a day if not an hour in the morning and one in the evening and walking him for a half hour to an hour a day will help build his endurance.
Do you trailer him tied or loose, if he  is he tied is it with his head up or so he can lie down? If you tie make sure it is so he can lay down, along with the trailer bedding as described by rackranch.

chambero

Honestly, he probably has a structural issue you just aren't seeing yet and this is the first symptom.  It's happened to us before.  Exercise is the answer and I would probably also feed the Natural Stride.  But most importantly, if you are wanting him to do well at a major, quit showing him much now.  The more you haul him the more you are going to hurt him.  We've got whose back hocks swelled on us after getting him home from a show.  It went down and hasn't come back, but he's not going on another long trip till his major.  These heavy muscled calves just put a lot of stress on the soft tissues in their joints.  It's not something that's readily visible, think of it as more akin to arthritis.

Simmymom1

Brittney....which steer is it that is doing this?  I tend to agree with Chambero, you should back off from taking him to so many shows.  Save him for the big stuff, it will pay off in the long run.