Ag class

Help Support Steer Planet:

reno1014

Wow when I was in High School, most kids took ag JUST to have a blow off class.  Our teacher had been there forever, and he was a little on the "relaxed" side.
We spent more time at the ag farm NOT doing ag stuff.  I didnt even know there were so many jackpots and stock shows....bumer for me because
I loved it.  When my son started in JR FFA, there was a possibility of our Ag and Tech classes being closed because of lack of interest.  (we live in the
oilfield mostly...some old farming).  Some of us rallied together and got as much interest as we could and filled the holes with warm little bodies.
Now our Ag farm is always over full...we also have a great scholarship program going. 

DLD

garybob said:
How deep is the level of instruction into the various subjects taught? The Board and Administration kept our Ag-Ed Teacher "in the shop", and tied his hands on EVERYTHING. Nothing but Ag Mechanics and a wee little bit of Animal Science ( Beef Producton & Nutrition & Genetics). Basically we had an "FFA on Paper"--no public speaking, parli-pro, etc.
Ours was basically a Trade & Industrial Ed class ran under Ag-Ed money. Was jealous of the experiences students in neighboring schools had within their FFA Chapters.

Anyone else have similiar experiences from High School? Was 20 years ago. Have things changed?

Not in THAT little, backward place.

GB

We had a pretty similiar kind of a program,  but that was thanks to our ag teacher mostly.  Ag I (the freshman class) spent some time in the classroom,  otherwise we did 2 things - built stuff in the shop,  and showed cattle.  We did those 2 things very well,  and back then neither the administration/board nor the state department seemed to mind.  Nowadays I don't think many ag teachers would get by with that (at least in OK),  maybe a handful of the older ones that have done it that way forever,  but they're about all gone by now.

simtal

garybob said:
How deep is the level of instruction into the various subjects taught? The Board and Administration kept our Ag-Ed Teacher "in the shop", and tied his hands on EVERYTHING. Nothing but Ag Mechanics and a wee little bit of Animal Science ( Beef Producton & Nutrition & Genetics). Basically we had an "FFA on Paper"--no public speaking, parli-pro, etc.
Ours was basically a Trade & Industrial Ed class ran under Ag-Ed money. Was jealous of the experiences students in neighboring schools had within their FFA Chapters.

Anyone else have similiar experiences from High School? Was 20 years ago. Have things changed?

Not in THAT little, backward place.

GB

I've been out of high school for 5 years and it was the same deal. 

IMO success in FFA is as only good as the advisor.

Latest posts