Ag Research

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

A few weeks ago I was told of the research at the Texas A & M Experiment Station near Lockett, TX.  One of the young doctors is leading a research program to see if E. Coli is getting into our water through the creeks and rivers from here to Dalhart.  Her research has not found E. Coli near dairies, feedlots, or large farms, including chicken farms.  They have found a large increase in E. Coli from a mile to a mile and a half from all bridges.  Where bridges cross the streams and rivers there is a large infestation of wild birds and it seems they are the source of E. Coli.  Her research was not met with open arms and she was asked to doctor her work.  The EPA and other environmental organizations had given the money for the research.  A young college graduate that I have known all his life, lost his job as they seemed to have suddenly ran out of money.

Research in my humble opinion should be to learn truth not manufacture theories.  While in college and studying Biblical archeology, however, I learned that much research was done by people who wanted to disprove the Bible, but we often found that once again the Bible proved archeology to be true.  I do not understand why integrity cannot be upheld and revealed to the public.

knabe

research jobs are inherently unstable.  publish or perish.  also, when things fail, one must redeploy.

GoWyo

Can you PM me with the name of the author of the study?  My wife works with this kind of stuff and is creative enough to find a good use for it.  Also, someone did a similar study a couple of years ago on the Chesapeake Bay trying to prove that agriculture, and in particular animal agriculture, was the cause of elevated e. coli counts and fecal coliform counts.  Apparently they were able to DNA or somehow type it back to animals alright -- mostly beaver, deer, raccoons, etc.  Ag was very small component as were people (probably failed septic systems).