age of herd bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

wowcows

Just found a herd bull that I have been wanting to use. He is 7 years old. What do you all think about that? He is in good shape and sound has the pedigree I have been looking for. Should I be afraid of kicking him out with cows to clean up behind my rather poor AI program?  <beer>

justintime

There should be no problems if he is still sound and has good semen quality. We have purchased a couple 10 year old bulls in the past and they worked as good as any younger bull. One got injured at 12 and the other worked well until he was 14.

blackcows

Do you know much about the herd he is coming from?  I would have some concern about using anything other than virgin bulls from a disease standpoint.

Mike

chambero

You really want the bull tested for Trich.  I know its the law in Texas - I don't know about elsewhere.  It is a real problem in a lot of places. 

Age wise, most bulls that have been used hard under range conditions are reaching the end of their average service life around that age.  We get 10 years+ out of plenty of our bulls, but its not something you take for granted.  I certainly wouldn't pay a lot for any bull of that age - they can "go" any time.  When our mature bulls run out of gas, its usually in the form of a back or hip injury or somethig similar.  Things just start to break down on big ol' stout bulls around that age.

Fertility is unlikely an issue for one that age.

kanshow

Really look his feet & legs over too.  He might need a trim at that age. 

wowcows

Trich tested, semen tested, 95%, good on his feet and legs and come from a smaller herd so he hasn't just worked his pants off but they are also scared of a feed bucket. I already own catttle out of that herd so from you all's comments it's a go ahead. Thanks