Age your kids started showing

Help Support Steer Planet:

braunvieh

Since we had a thread earlier on who has kids, was wondering at what age your kids got involved in the bigger shows and with bigger calves. I am not talking bottle calves but show cattle. My son is 7 and wants to show but I am not sure he is big enough to handle a yearling heifer and I really don't want him to have a bad experience and be turned off. He loves to help me with the calves, though, and keeps telling me he wants to try.
Thanks!

doubled

Both boys started out at 5 years old showing bottle calves, and started showing pretty hard at like 8 years old.
We started out with Herefords so they were a snap to show.

Cattledog

I help my cousins with their show calves and the first one my oldest cousin(7 at the time) brought in the ring kept getting mounted by a heifer in heat.  I was scared to death and he couldn't stop laughing!  I think he was the only calm one in my family

HSV

My boys have all started showing calves at four years of age. They competed in the PeeWee showmanship classes that our Shorthorn Association held. This year we had a 8 yr old and a 6 yr old showing calves at our Provincial Junior Shorthorn show on their own. The four year old had to have Dad in the ring with him giving a bit of direction and keeping a hand on the end of the rope...just in case!
The reality is that none of them are big enough to handle a bred heifer although the two older ones showed a January bull calf and a January heifer. I think that it is important to start out with calves that are realistic for the exhibitor....I am at the stage where I judge the success of our showing outing by the following motto.."Nobody got hut, Nobody cried and Nothing got away"!

steermomintx

My kids starting showing at the age of 6, but we raise our own cattle and we make sure they are as gentle as a puppy dog!!

reno1014

In Texas 4-H and FFA we have to be 9 to show at majors...that's any animal.  Our county allows under nine to show hogs, rabbits, lambs and goats but
not cattle.  My son started with a lamb in Kindergarten and we progressed from there to goats hogs and finally steers in High School...Freshman.
I dint think its so much that your child can handle their animal...as to what would happen if they got into a bad situation with others calves in the show ring
or wherever.  We know what OUR animals are capeable of doing but we dint know what else is in that show ring, wash rack, ect.
For instance we know that one of our steers is a huge puppy.  One is just a regular kind of guy, and one is a little freaky on the psychotic side and when my son takes
him into the show ring he lets the front and rear showmen know that so just in case something comes up everyone is aware.  It also helps so they dont crowd
him because that is when he really freaks out.  So in my opinion if your child is mature and can handle those things then they are ready, if they are timid and a little
on the small side you might want to wait on the cattle thing.

DLD

Our oldest started at 5, and he was pretty small for his age, too.  Of course, we made sure everything he showed was very gentle and pretty much bulletproof as far as being spooky.  He just showed heifers (yearlings) and just at our local, district and county shows, where there weren't a whole lot of cattle and everybody knows everybody and it's all pretty laid back.  There are always a few little ones showing, and everybody - including the older kids - looks out for 'em.  It works out pretty well. 

That said though, the twins didn't start 'til they were 8.  Last fall and this one are pretty much the same scenario (except they were showing prospect steers this time) and it's working out well, too.  They're 9 now and get to show at the OK Youth Expo this spring, and they're pretty excited.  Hope it's not too dark to see, but here's a pic of them showing a couple of months ago.

Attachments

• '08 Cement 01.JPG
    '08 Cement 01.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 498

linnettejane

my 3 1/2 year old showed for the first time this summer in a pee wee class...of course i was at the halter and she was on the end of the rope holding my free hand....then when we stopped to set up she would work the showstick with a little guidance from me....she loved it....especially when the announcer started talking about her and said her name over the speaker....she was all smiles....winning a trophy helped too....she will be 4 in a couple weeks and she has been leading her heifer by herself in the back lot of the barn....its an exceptional heifer as far as disposition goes....lindsay can walk right up to her and take hold of the rope and off walking they go...course we are always within a few feet...just in case....today she helped daddy wash and blow dry the calves....her daddy thinks she has the "fever"....how many kids cry when you tell them they have to let the calf go because its dark outside and time to go the house.... 

HVNR

Will pictured here in Pee wee showmanship had just turned 7. Heifer only got away from him twice I believe. He first showed when he was 5 with a little help of course. His two older brothers were about the same age.

Attachments

• Will Showmanship June 2008.jpg
    Will Showmanship June 2008.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 301

red

Woody will start showing next year. Right now he is practicing leading the cats around.

Red  (lol)

ZNT

Our daughter hit her first major show when she was 4 1/2.  She showed a 5 month old heifer in the Open Maine Show at Houston this year.  She is too young to show in any of the Jr. shows or jackpots in Texas, so that was the only place  she could go.  She did awesome out there in the ring all by herself.