Agh! venting...

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I haven't done anything to my heifers for 2 days due to chest pain ( pulled muscles). today I go out to wash & RINGWORM!!! Agh!!!! I hate the stuff. They haven't been around any other cattle or gone any where. The only thing I can think of is that I am using different rope halters. I usually always spray them when I put them away w/ antifungus spray but this time I may have slipped up. I am so ticked off!
Ok, let's hear all the good home remedies for ringworm.
Currently I'm using eZall to wash them in. I'll use some fungus fighter shampoo too. I have a blech pen & the liquid fungus stuff. Any other good tips?I have Fluid flim too.  Also, I get it really easy so need to be careful myself.
Thanks, now I feel better!!

Red

ROAD WARRIOR

Red - Try this mix 1/2 iodine and 1/2 DMSO . If you have a bottle that has a dauber that works really good. Got this one from an old vet years ago.

red

No, since DMSO isn't an approved product & it burns skin I'd be afraid to use it. Thanks for the tip though.
Another question- is anyone having problems getting iodine? I read where it's being taken off the shelves in some areas. something about it can be used in making meth. What else are those people going to ruin for us? They've changed cold formulas, you have to lock up anhydrous, baby formula is on the list. It's rather sad to me.

Red

afhm

Try the 6cc of Kerosene orally.  I tried it on  one and it seems to have worked.  I don't know how long he had ot before he came in, it may have already been on its way out.

pigguy

it sounds like you have everything there to get rid of it. i would wash with fungas fighter shampoo, then i would put fungas fighter on the ringworn during the day.and then at night put fluid film on it. make sure they get plenty of light

DL

red said:
No, since DMSO isn't an approved product & it burns skin I'd be afraid to use it. Thanks for the tip though.
Another question- is anyone having problems getting iodine? I read where it's being taken off the shelves in some areas. something about it can be used in making meth. What else are those people going to ruin for us? They've changed cold formulas, you have to lock up anhydrous, baby formula is on the list. It's rather sad to me.
Red

Yup - just like Sudafed and anhydrous the 7% iodine has become a "controlled substance" just like narcotics - you have to keep track of it and have a special license to buy it - IMHO this is just nuts.

Re DMSO - not only is it not approved but since it is classified as a drug used in other species it is illegal to use unless you follow the ELDU and AMDUCA - they use it a lot in horses both topically and IV (and the horses smell like garlic) but I am not sure I really want organic solvents or kerosene in my food...

Red - not only the halters but if there are "fomites" in the pen that they rub on -esp wood the little fungi can hide there - I throw my halters in the washing machine....good luck:)

red

I never thought about washing the halters. I might try that. does any one else have so many old halters that they need to pitch them?
I'm using the ones w/ the ring in it so they don't rub off hair or get that scab. I think I'm going to try a concoction of different stuff. Athlete's foot medicine was also suggested.
Pretty sound everything is going to be banned or need a license. It's getting silly.

thanks all!

Red

shortdawg

Red, We've used products like Monistat 7 or other yeast infection products successfully for ringworm.

pigguy

We have about 50 halters that need to be pitched. i am useing the halters with the ring and it is takeing the hair off the bottem of th echin(probally because they are about 2 years old. i order 6 of sullivans big rope halters and gona see if they hold up better. i saw i guy with them on his show string and they looked liked they had held up throughout the summer.
you can also try toothpaste, and  Monistat 7(works great)(or any kind of anti-fungal creme)

DL

SRU said:
sodium iodide via IV

pretty drastic for a superficial non lethal fungal infection that tincture of time will cure?

ba

final fungus or the hotest iodine you can get from drug store . you have to order it.
im going to stick my neck out a bit  but fulvison(sp) works but hard to get any more
and a little hard on the hair

afhm

SRU the big problem with your suggestion is that it will knock the hair out of them and dry their skin out dramatically.  We had a customer take a steer to the vet for hoof rot about the size of a quarter the vet gave him the sodium iodine iv and he went from 3-4 inches of hair all over his body to maybe an inch on his body and a 1/2" on his legs.  This was within 2 weeks of his final show.  It took over a gallon of olive oil and a jar of mayo to get enough moisture back into his skin to get him to stop flaking.  when you hit him with a blower it looked like a snow storm.  I probably shouldn't have to say that I'm not a fan of the iv.

Gypsy

Red -

I use Vicks Vaporub or the generic equivalent.  I use bleach the first treatment, and then I put the Vick's on right after.  Then just Vicks every day after that.  Seems like it soothes the dry itchy skins and it stays where you put it, AND kills the ringworm.  I do wear gloves when I put it on because I don't want to get the ringworm either.  Been there done that, ick.  I've used the bleach on me and the vicks, I like the vicks better, I bet my calves did too.   ;D  

red

humm.. Some very interesting suggestions. I don't want to use anything that might harm my heifers. I really hate the idea of IV iodine. I'm working so hard to grow hair that I don't want to jepordize it or their health.
Gypsy- I like the idea of the Vicks. I have some that I might try. Right now I using several different things because I've heard there are different strains of the virus.
I do like to read the different suggestions though so keep them coming. Has anyone used Crest toothpaste? I've heard of that one too.
I'm also using Fung-all, which is a product made especially for ringworm. I has worked well in the past. Bacon grease is also good for getting the hair back but you havee to keep the dog away from them or her licks it off.

Red