Agribition

Help Support Steer Planet:

klintdog

We're toying with the idea of hauling some cattle up to Agribition next year. It's actually closer for us than Denver, plus the cattle follow our style more than some of the south eastern cattle.
My question is basically what to expect as a newcomer to Agribition, are their any problems getting US cattle across the border? How long do we have to be up there, what to expect for size and weight of calves, all that kind of stuff. Hoepfully some of you folks from around the area, and anyone who has exhibited there can help me out.

Thanks!

usu265

I can't really comment on the border  situation, I've never crossed it with show cattle but I heard its got easier in the last year. People usually come the Saturday, some on the Sunday (I think you have to be there by 2 or so) and all the cattle are there all week, and they are released on Saturday night after the Supreme Show, so most people leave early Sunday morning. As for weight of calves, just check out this: http://www.agribition.com/show_sales_results.php?newmenu=menu_show_sales_results&f_year=2008&op=viewsubcategory&f_category=beef_cattle
It has all the show results and shows weights and everything on all of the cattle. Its an awesome show, best in Canada.

justintime

I am a director of Canadian Western Agribition, and there may be some changes in the show structure next year that will reduce the length of stay by at least 1 day. As for getting cattle across the border and back, there is some health testing to be done and the regular bureaucratic BS that seems to accompany most things these things these days... but it is possible. Last year we had international visitors from 62 countries including US visitors from over 20 states.  I can get you more information later.

cdncowboy

I'll assume when you say calves your talking steers, if not throw this out the window.
There have been some other ND calves up the last two years at Agribition, the first year had a few glitches(mostly due to our national tracking system) but nothing to major.  I don't think he had to many problems last year.  You'd need TB, Brucellosis and anaplasmosis tests.  As for size you can get away with calves a little bigger framed than further south, most times you'll wanna be in that 625 - 700 pound range.  We'd love to have ya,  more good calves never hurts anyone.

klintdog

cdncowboy said:
I'll assume when you say calves your talking steers, if not throw this out the window.
There have been some other ND calves up the last two years at Agribition, the first year had a few glitches(mostly due to our national tracking system) but nothing to major.  I don't think he had to many problems last year.  You'd need TB, Brucellosis and anaplasmosis tests.  As for size you can get away with calves a little bigger framed than further south, most times you'll wanna be in that 625 - 700 pound range.  We'd love to have ya,  more good calves never hurts anyone.

Nope, we're looking at pulling our purebred Gelbvieh string up there. We got a lot of compliments from the Canadian breeders in Denver this year who said we should head to Agribition since we have some style with a bit more frame (we're a frame 6, compared to the frame 4.2's in Denver this year). Right now we have to TB and Brucellosis to go anywhere since Montana and Minnesota are having problems, so that's not an issue. The anaplasmosis shouldn't be too bad either.

My bigger concern on the purebred side is having them big enough to compete condition wise. Let's be honest, you Canadians know how to feed and have them ready by Agribition. I pulled the results from Denver and Agribition, and some of the cattle that were at both only gained 60 pounds between shows.

Bawndoh

Kilintdog, I will PM you within a few days to give you some opinions on things.