AI COSTS??

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbzdad

brenn.. kinda hard to say... semen is 20 dollars and up... then you either need to do it yourself or make arrangements with an experienced friend to help you... things required from somewhere are a semen tank, semen and supplies (gloves, gun, semen warmer etc), some way to immobilize the cow,,,I've probably left something out .... and the cow needs to be in season... all pretty simple huh

Mueller Show Cattle

jbzdad said:
brenn.. kinda hard to say... semen is 20 dollars and up... then you either need to do it yourself or make arrangements with an experienced friend to help you... things required from somewhere are a semen tank, semen and supplies (gloves, gun, semen warmer etc), some way to immobilize the cow,,,I've probably left something out .... and the cow needs to be in season... all pretty simple huh

He pretty much summed it up. I am going to AI school in May. I have been paying a local vet $25 a head to AI them for me. But like you said above they have to be in cycle, so I Cidar them to synchronize all of them together and have them all AI'd at the same time so you have cedar costs also which is about $100 for 10 of them. So I bought a squeeze chute this winter and going to AI school, in May to do it all my self as the local Vet is going to give me the drugs to inject them to help synchronize them with the cedar. Then you have the semen cost. I was paying about $75 a head with cedar, semen vet costs and drug costs plus trailering them to the vet. Hope this helps.

johnmetzger

I have taken the AI course about 5 years ago and it has paid off as I can AI when she is ready and don't have to wait for someone. I'm comfortable with the procedure as I started breeding flush cows this year with expensive semen with success. Take the class it's a wise investment. But to answer Brenn's question I usally charge $20.00 + semen cost for nieghbors. Make sure she is in standing heat or your throwing money away. 

hntwhitetail

JDM said:
I have taken the AI course about 5 years ago and it has paid off as I can AI when she is ready and don't have to wait for someone. I'm comfortable with the procedure as I started breeding flush cows this year with expensive semen with success. Take the class it's a wise investment. But to answer Brenn's question I usally charge $20.00 + semen cost for nieghbors. Make sure she is in standing heat or your throwing money away. 

Which A.I. class did you take?  Which one is the best? Trying to get some feedback on peoples experiences. 

Mueller Show Cattle

hntwhitetail said:
JDM said:

Which A.I. class did you take?  Which one is the best? Trying to get some feedback on peoples experiences. 

I am going to the Bovine Elite AI and palpation class May 10th to the 13th in College Station Texas.

MCC

I'm not trying to promote any school over another or cut down any school. But two years after the Civil War, I took an ABS class and can return to take a refresher any time at no charge. Been back once to learn new technologies. My point is pick a reputable company that will help you out after you have given them your hard earned money.

firesweepranch

My husband went to school two years ago, my daughter went to school this last fall (she is 14), and I have AI'd for NUMEROUS years (started with dairy cattle). Before I sent the two to school (which was through ABS and very good), if I was unable to AI when one of the girls came into heat (because I was a very busy ag teacher that was on the road a lot!), my husband would haul the heifer down the road to a local Genex rep and she charged us $12/head (we brought the semen or bought it from her if it was a genex sire). Now we do everything ourselves, and it is so much easier. Our conception rate is excellent because we breed on natural cycles and watch the heifers/cows closely twice a day. But our herd is small, so it is not to difficult for us. No stress, because we just walk them in the grooming chute to breed, so nice and calm.
So, if you can, I strongly suggest going to school. The money you save on time and stress is well worth it!

ruhtram

This thread has been real helpful for me.Thanks for all the input.

Till-Hill

After you get the class taken find someone with some cull cows or a dairy that will let you practice and practice and practice some more. And with beef your only breeding once a year but if you get some cows under your belt before you get back into your cows your confidence will be alot better.

GLZ

A couple of other notes that haven't been touched on if you are learning.

Find yourself an actual physical femal reproductive tract.  They usually have one in training sessions whether it is from ABS, Bovine Elite, or someone else.  It is very helpful in visualizing exactly what you are doing.

Also Select Sires has some great resources online as far as the actual procedure, handling of the semen, etc.

Mueller Show Cattle

GLZ said:
A couple of other notes that haven't been touched on if you are learning.

Find yourself an actual physical femal reproductive tract.  They usually have one in training sessions whether it is from ABS, Bovine Elite, or someone else.  It is very helpful in visualizing exactly what you are doing.

Also Select Sires has some great resources online as far as the actual procedure, handling of the semen, etc.

Has anyone on here went to the AI class put on by Bovine Elite? I live in Wyoming but going to that AI class which is in College Station Texas as any of the classes close to me in Wyoming and Colorado don't teach the palpation as you have to be a vet to palpate at least for money, so they don't teach that. So that was one reason I picked Bovine Elite as the teach you the different trimesters as far as the hands on goes and wanted that training for preg testing my own cows. I also read alot of good things online about Bovine Elite AI class, just wanted to see if any of you had been to this class.