AI Guy Shoots 93%

Help Support Steer Planet:

bcosu

did you use a heat synchronization program or just breed them all on natural heats?

Jeferin

Good Job Zach!

I had 7/7 last summer and 2 were time bred using lutalace. Otherwise I saw the other 5 standing using lutalce to sync them.

Lut has worked excellent for me. Year before I was 7/8.

Cattledog

I'm 4/4 this year.  I just know that a cow we just had flushed is going to break my streak!  :mad:

vet tech

So the rule of thumb is 12 hours after standing heat correct??

farmboy

we synced them

cidrs and a shot on sunday
pulled cidrs and another shot on Wednesday
bred at 4 PM saturday. another shot/ think it was GnRh

actually saw 6 or 7 in heat but when the AI gun went in, alot of mucus came out on all of them. he said the strongest one in heat was one i saw ride/get rode 1 time that day

the one that came in heat was a fat heifer and said she might have problems. also assuming our cows and bull know what to do on a heat (heat activity - witnessed 0 except for that 1 heifer) the bull bred 1.

idk what the shots were on what days

so theoretically with no miscarridges or anything like that we should have

4 sunseekers
2 shivers
2 naughty pines
1 heatseeker
1 my turn
1 vanilla ice
1 hired man 

i saw 2 in heat the night before the 4pm breeding time (7-8 PM) so idk but it was a good time

FEBRUARY 15 CANT GET HERE FAST ENOUGH

TMJ Show Cattle

You sound like my better half, Carrie. She has bred over forty head so far,10 for us,20 for a neighbor, and 10 for a Angus breeder,with only 2 showing any signs of not sticking. She has a marvelous touch,great temperment,and past experience of breeding a thousand holsteins a year. She has slowly taken away some of the bussiness of several AIer's in this area,with repeat calls. Ask COWBOY what kind of lady she is,hell,she's my hero!!.

bcosu

sounds like we did the same program and we didn't get any where near that good a conception rate. that's just our luck though.

ROMAX

zach said:
we synced them

cidrs and a shot on sunday
pulled cidrs and another shot on Wednesday
bred at 4 PM saturday. another shot/ think it was GnRh

actually saw 6 or 7 in heat but when the AI gun went in, alot of mucus came out on all of them. he said the strongest one in heat was one i saw ride/get rode 1 time that day

the one that came in heat was a fat heifer and said she might have problems. also assuming our cows and bull know what to do on a heat (heat activity - witnessed 0 except for that 1 heifer) the bull bred 1.

idk what the shots were on what days

so theoretically with no miscarridges or anything like that we should have

4 sunseekers
2 shivers
2 naughty pines
1 heatseeker
1 my turn
1 vanilla ice
1 hired man 

i saw 2 in heat the night before the 4pm breeding time (7-8 PM) so idk but it was a good time

FEBRUARY 15 CANT GET HERE FAST ENOUGH
Just wondering what the cost for all the shots and cidr's ?obviosly worth it if it works.

farwest

zach said:
all the shots and stuff + breeding charge + semen was 880 for 13 head

heatseeker was 100 so figure that in there
Breeding charge?  So who is the talented or lucky ai tech.???  Sounds like they may deserve a pat on the back....

Cowboy

Hey John you old salt -- CARRIE has a MARVELOUS temperament??? Holy crud, she must have REALLY changed, last time I saw her here she was chasin a coyote out on the prairie full blast -- and GAININ on him!!

hehehehehe

I agree, she does have the touch -- some times you either have or you don't, and no matter how many schools you go to -- you just are not good at it.

Question for Zach -- with only 13 head -- why did you opt to TIME BREED them. Seems that would be risky with just a dozen cows, I only have 13 as well, but I certainly don't sync mine to breed them. I did 4 this year for a flush on my best cow, but other than that, I breed them over a 21 day period -- conception ??

No one really believed me before when I discussed that, but for 10 years on 10 head -- I used 101 units of semen. What percentage was that?? Had one set of twinns to top that off as well. Good enough for me.

Congrats on a good breeding year -- we all need one for sure!

John , Tell CArrie I was only kidding, she really couldn't keep up to that coyote!! hehehehe

Terry

Cattle Fan

Zach

Just a question on your Sync Protocall.  You said that you pulled Cidrs on Wednesday.  Does that mean you left them in for 3 days or you waited until the next week and left them in 10 days?  Just wondering as the protocalls we have allways used say leave in for at least 7 days.  Sounds like you had great luck however you did it.

Our Protocall
Wednesday Eve Cidrs In GNRH
Following Wednesday Eve Cidrs out Lutalyce
Breed by heat detection
We usually sync about 40 cows and will breed 3-4 on Friday evening 20 to 25 on Sat morn and eve 5-6 on Sun morn and Eve and then we wil have a couple late responders that we will not see heat on them until Mon-Wed and will breed them then.  Usually average between 80-85% on conception

Cattledog

Well Cowboy, I run 15 cows and I CIDR almost every one of them.  I find that having old show heifers makes it hard to heat detect.  I work a full time job and just can't be there to watch them all the time.  I can tell when they are in heat but they are so darn tame that they don't ride or give me a clue as to where they are in their cycle.  I use these heats as a reference heat to when I CIDR them.  It is pretty time consuming doing this to every one at different times but it keeps me out of trouble.  I am one who really enjoys cattle management work to the point that I may be a micro-manager.  My wife always tells me I work too much and I just tell her it isn't work if you love it! 

With that said, If I can find one in standing you better believe that I breed them.  There's nothing like a good natural heat.

Cowboy

We all have a couple lazy ones it seems, bugs the crap out of me every year. You'll see them one thier first and second heats, WAY too early to re-breed them. Then when you absolutely KNOW they are due back in, they are dry behind, laying around just enjoying life.

Cattle Dog -- there is an exception for every rule there is , cattle are no different -- I guess I should have clarified -- " I will sync one only if absolutely neseccary", and you are right -- natural heats are better both for the cow, and for her conception. I go so far as to pull a hot cow out of the bunch not long after I catch her in heat, just to prevent all that bangin around.

With the power alot of these clubby type cows have today, it is sooooo easy to tear out a stiffle joint or a hundred other little things that happen. Just not worth it, so I go get her in and leave her along till time to breed her. Not too hard to do on 13 head of cows, but might be a real pain on a hundred??

Kind of set in my ways I guess, and you are also right, it is NOT labor if you love it!

Terry

farmboy

Cowboy said:
Question for Zach -- with only 13 head -- why did you opt to TIME BREED them. Seems that would be risky with just a dozen cows, I only have 13 as well, but I certainly don't sync mine to breed them. I did 4 this year for a flush on my best cow, but other than that, I breed them over a 21 day period -- conception ??

that's how he does it. it's easier to do them all at once then one at a time. less effort. he did this several other places and got 6/7 and 7/9 and 100 percent at another place in town.

RSC

I am surprised Your Town allows cows in Town! LOL, We have ordinances against that!