AI.ing problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

OK i have a problem.... I have heifer that should be in heat on the 24th, She looked like she had clear disharge this morning when I washed her, and then I washed her again at about 5:30pm and she took a poo, and there looked like there was clear mucus in her poo like coccidious, so i dont know if her first clear dishcharge was actually the first sign of heta or not?? what do you think?

GRsimm

Is the 24th the 21st day of her cycle or the 18th day of her cycle? either way she is plenty early. Was she showing any other signs of being in heat ie. Bawling for no reason, riding, standing? Sometimes they have early embryonic loss that messes with there heat cycle as well as environmental factors such as heat or rain. Well If shes not showing anyother signs I would keep watching her? Maybe someone else can go into more detail for you.

Joe Boy

Watch her tomorrow and if there is some blood discharge she cycled.

CAB

First off, it's not unusual for there to be clear mucus looking stuff in a stool, you are just watching closer right now, so rule out coccidiois, it will usually manifest itself visibly by bloody discharge in the stool. 
  Now unless you have a well kept journal of sometype on this heifer's cycle of @ least 4 cycles in a row, so that we know she is a 18 day, 19 day, or 22 day cycle, you can't go off of that and like someone said early embryonic death could screw that up if she has been exposed to any fertile males or AIed. So really what you are left with is, good heat detection and by that I mean I would like to see her stand hard for mounting. This of coarse gets harder as a lot of us are tying our heifers up half of the time. I kinda think that attributes to some the reasons that we have a harder time getting show heifers bred in a timely fashion along with a list of other things, such as early abortions, stress, and exposure to deceases from other herds through contact @ various shows. I hope that this helps you some. Just keep a watchful eye out. You'll catch her in heat. Brent

BCCC

OK She was trying to mount everything this morning, , I haltered her to try and wash her, but she wouldnt move we tried pushing on her but she just locked up so, I guess I will watch and see if she still mounts everything when i let her out to excersise, We breed 12 hours after heat right?

CAB

Here's when I would breed her and try to train yourself to watch for this. I would breed her or any other cow/heifer, when they are all done balling, jumping head butting and are all tyred out and want to just go lay down and relax, that's when you want to deposit the semen in the sweet spot. They have to tell everyone something generic at the training seminars, that being usually 12 hours after standing heat, if you want to be better than the average try to train yourself to watch for the signs above and you will be better than average. This is what Cowboy is trying to say when he talks about listening to the cow tell you when the best time is for her, not when the best time is for you. Shorty queen has also talked about this and if you'll notice both of these people talk about breeding cows @ all hours of the day & night. I also have been known to spend quite a bit of time out in the cow lot 2-4:00am heat detecting and inseminating cows. You can search this site for many threads about this if you want more info. Has your heifer been allowed to run free with some other animals today so that you can get a read of where she's at as far as standing goes? Brent

BCCC

She has been tied up since about 8 in the cooler, but I am getting ready to go let her out fo ra bit so I will see if shes still jumpin or calves, I would love to be able to breed a cow at 4 am but I dont know how to AI yet,  hopefully after this year I will know how to.

Cattledog

One other thing that I do when I have a heifer in heat is kick them out with the cows in the lot for a little bit.  I find that if I don't have enough animals in with heifers in heat they don't do anything.  The cows get excited because it is somebody new and usually will try to ride.  Then I just see if they stand.  I just found out that I have everything bred!  I am a wreck during heat detection season and I am sure others feel the same. 

BCCC

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
AI 12 hours after she STOPS standing.
OK I was told by my AI tech, that We are supposed to breed 12 hours once we see her standing, is he right or wrong?? He has breed a few of my cows before with a 100% sucess rating, but then again they were at his house, and he also said just because she riding the others doesnt mean shes in heat unless she is riding their head, is that true or not?? Because I have a hard time beliving that she isnt in heat seeing as there was mucus, bloody mucus, and no she wont move if push on her back side, and its about time for her to be in heat anyways.

I have some GnRH, that I picked up to put in CDR's in and they didnt send me a applicator (that I told them to order) so I went out to his house to pick on up and he said to implant the cidrs an dthen wait 7 days give the GnRH, and then when yo ubreed them to give them a shot of lut, is that right??

thanks alot for all your help (thumbsup)

CAB

BCCC, to answer your question about the lute @ breeding, that is wrong. Pick up one of the sire directories and in the back they almost all have many different protocols listed. Pick the one that best fits your operation  and study, study, and study it some more until you have it and it makes sense to you, then go and apply it. Please go back and read my post about what I would do and also go back and try to find some of Cowboy's and Shorty Queen's post about how they AI, it will again make you a MUCH better heat detector if you can understand what we are trying to convey to you and your question about your tech being correct about his info on the 12 hours after you see standing heat, that is by all current standards the pat answer to the question, but what I am trying to get you to understand is that they have to have an answer to that general question and so that is their answer, "12 hours after standing heat is observed". What I am trying to get you to realise is that you can go beyond the standard, pat answer, and make yourself better than average.
  To answer your question about the heifer jumping other heifer, yes it is "A" sign that something "maybe" happening or about to happen, but you have to somehow get that great positive read, that yes, this heifer "locked up" and stood hard when another animal jumped her, preferably more than once. Like I said B4, it is much harder to get these signs read when the cattle are being tied up daily, but you have to be smart about it and do like Cattledog said he does, put her out with a small group of cows or a different peer group. I hope this helps. I think that you may be getting overload as far as too much info. Go study and get it straight in your mind then go and apply it. Try super hard to be patient. I spend many, many hours watching and as you perfect your heat detecting practices, you will end up being a great detector. Patience and a boat load of time. You'll get it done and be great. Good Luck. Brent