AI-ing

Help Support Steer Planet:

ckey0095

I'd like to take an AI class. Is it worth the money? Or would I be better off paying someone else to do it? I want a lot of cows to breed for showing and I'd like to use some top line bulls so I've decided I'd start out AI-ing. I also live in Florida, but I am hoping to move to South Dakota within the next two years, would it be okay up there or would I have to do it again?

GoWyo

The best reason to learn to do it yourself is to not have to rely on other people and their own hectic schedules.  I do everything to set up my cows with synchronization, but still have to have someone on call to do the deed, which has resulted in some tense moments even with 3 people who live within 15 miles of me that I pay to do it.  I don't synch my heifers, so that can be even harder to plan.  My only concern is not having my arm in enough cows to ever get proficient at it.

cowman 52

It is a skill that you need plenty of practice at but you will use it often enough over a year that the cost of school will be way less than the cost of paying someone else to come out.  It will keep you from going hungry in hard times.

frostback

If you have the time and opportunity to learn anything new do it. Don't rely on anyone if you can help it. Best thing I did was go and learn even though my husband was great at it. Have had lots of times since I learned that he couldn't be there and since I knew how to too, it saved headaches.

firesweepranch

Yes! Go to school, and learn to do it! We strictly AI over here, and there are three of us that do it. We sent our then 13 year old daughter to ABS school, and because of her experience she now does the AI at the dairy next door (she is 17). Her conception rates are great, and they love the ease of having her right next door (a mile away!), and she makes some extra cash. The technique will be the same in any states, and as far as I know you do not even need a certificate to AI in any state, though it is good to have one. So what you learn in FL will be the same in any state.

garett

Go to school and learn, but make sure you know of someone close that can still help. The college I go to offered a two-week summer class about AI. We were in the classroom some and in the barns some learning the technique. Unless you get a lot of cattle to practice on, have someone else handy to help you out. It's a simple process, but a lot trickier to actually get done than I had imagined. I planned on coming home and AIing my own cows but never actually got good at it.

ZNT

It is definitely a good skill to have, but just be prepared for it to cost you more than just the school and equipment. After you go to school, you just need to work and work at breeding your own cows. You WILL have a lower conception rate early on, and your calving season may get strung out a little if you choose to try re breeding by AI, but keep trying. Every person that AI's has gone through this same learning curve.

Early on if you are wanting to try synchronizing a large set of cows, you may still want to look at hiring someone. You don't want to get yourself in a bad situation.

Good Luck!

JDP

I went to an two day class through Lake Land Community College (IL) taught by ABS  Rep Stewart James i think.  I started AIing cows a few months later with success.  Very good class to take even if you are not planning on doing the AIing yourself.  Covered alot of heat detection, synchronizing and management.  We went to a local sale barn both days to practice and they were very very helpful.  Don't be shy if you go and get your arm in as many as you can. the first day there were a bunch of Holstein cows we worked on and their cervix were huge.  The second day we had beef cow and it was soooo much easier.  Also the Ag dept of the college had some reproductive organs for us to practice with in a lab which was awesome to be able to see what your are doing.  Good luck.

SJcattle

I would say go to school and learn! That's what I am hoping to do. Luckily with our operation we have two people that already know how to do it and have had plenty of experience, but you always run the risk of them being gone etc... The more people that know how to do this within your operation the better. You know you can always count on yourself. :)

Good luck!

Rocky Hill Simmental

Take the class! It's worth it. I actually went to two, an ABS and a Select Sires one. I used to work as a beef technician for a university so I had to be very good. Now I get to use those techniques on my own cattle.

Also, if you are a college or high school student, ask about a discount.

tipmover

For sure go take a class and get certified.  I went to the Iowa State Dairy farm and took the class offered by Genex.  It was an awesome experience and gave me the confidence to go out and feel like I knew what I was doing.  I AI'd 20 cows this year right after I took the class and stuck 18 of them.  I now am working on some bigger jobs for this summer and am excited for the future.  Highly recommend it!