AI season is here!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

common sense

Well, it's getting to be that time of year again when we pull out our dented and bent up old A.I. kits and clean them out, restock our semen inventory and make sure that we have enough plastic sheaths to get through the season...and a few extras for when the "neighbor" calls in a panic because they are out and have two cows to breed.  I had this thought to buy a new AI box to put my "stuff" in and then thought that it would just be bad luck to give up my trusty life-long kit.  I think that I still have a took to score ampules floating around in there somewhere.

I was just wondering if anyone had any clever ideas that they use when they are AI'ing.  For example...I am forever losing my little squeeze bottle of lube.  I would love to find something kool to hang on the door of my palpation cage so that it is always handy.    I know somebody in the "hood" that has a handy little clip that they use to keep their plastic ob sleeve attached to their shirt at the shoulder so that it doesn't slide down.  How about a tail holder?  No, your husband or wife doesn't count! 

I just thought this would get some good ideas thrown out there.

Jill

We AI'd our 1st show heifer last night to none other than Gigolo Joe!
We have a grocery store shelving set up next to the chute that has all of the necessary supplies for doctoring or AI, bought the big bottle of lube so it doesn't get lost so easy, have a table that sits next to it for prep work.  Sorry, no great inventions.

red

I've got 2 AI'd so far. both have missed a cycle. Hopefully will have a Hard Core & a Gigolo Joe baby next year!!!

Red

kanshow

I bought a little pink canteen with a strap for my daughter today at Walmart.  I was thinking about that when we were out AIing this evening.  It could be  hooked on the cage somewhere.  I might have to investigate it further for ease of squeeze.     

We started with a few last week.    Our synched heifers are starting to come in..  I imagine by tomorrow, there will be a mess of them to do.      AI'ing most of them to SS Goldmine, 3C Full Figures, &  Bennett's Architect this year.     

Bawndoh

Use a welding rod holder for gun(s) and sheaths to prevent breaking, bending.
I use a rubbermaid container for all my supplies.
Clean, Clean, Clean your supplies, take apart your cito cutter and clean it.  Clean the inside of the gun with rubbing alcohol.  Squeeze or spray into the back end, and let it air dry.  NEVER put any sort of papertowl into it to dry it.  Its alcohol, so it will evaporate.  You must be clean, it can make a huge difference.  It can also help preventing the spread of diseases, etc. 
Use a flashlight to see into your semen tank instead of pulling the cane up into the neck of the tank where it is a few hundred degrees cooler.  Each time you hold it in the neck, you are killing some sperm.

rmbcows

common sense said:
Well, it's getting to be that time of year again when we pull out our dented and bent up old A.I. kits and clean them out, restock our semen inventory and make sure that we have enough plastic sheaths to get through the season...and a few extras for when the "neighbor" calls in a panic because they are out and have two cows to breed.  I had this thought to buy a new AI box to put my "stuff" in and then thought that it would just be bad luck to give up my trusty life-long kit.  I think that I still have a took to score ampules floating around in there somewhere.

I was just wondering if anyone had any clever ideas that they use when they are AI'ing.  For example...I am forever losing my little squeeze bottle of lube.  I would love to find something kool to hang on the door of my palpation cage so that it is always handy.    I know somebody in the "hood" that has a handy little clip that they use to keep their plastic ob sleeve attached to their shirt at the shoulder so that it doesn't slide down.   How about a tail holder?  No, your husband or wife doesn't count! 

I found a tool box long enough to hold the sheaths and rods, and big enough to hold everything but my semen thawer.  The top tray is handy to keep smaller stuff in.  I use an empty dish soap (well washed out first) bottle for my lube.  I know it's not "kool" but it's easier to pack around than the the gal. jug.  (lol)  An old pair of locking forceps works great for keeping your sleeves up!  And last but not least, the best tail holder I've used (non human) is a rubber tie down strap with an old jumper cable clamp attached to one end and the other attached to the chute. (I only clamp it on the switch!)

Doc

I use the forceps also, but if you don't have access to them you can use those big black paperclips that you squeeze the handles to make work.

DiamondS

We started with a few last week.    Our synched heifers are starting to come in..  I imagine by tomorrow, there will be a mess of them to do.      AI'ing most of them to SS Goldmine, 3C Full Figures, &  Bennett's Architect this year.     

Have you used Architect before?  I have a two year old bull out of him and our first daughters (commercial heifers) are calving out of him.  Our semen rep has a few.  I haven't used him again, a little too framy, tight gutted, and fine boned for me.  They have the 1407 look to them.  However, they have nice udders and so far are doing a dandy job of raising calves.  One in particular is raising a South devon calf, and that calf is really something.  Used South Devon's last year for the first time.  Anybody else out there used em? 

DiamondS

kanshow

Have you used Architect before?  I have a two year old bull out of him and our first daughters (commercial heifers) are calving out of him.  Our semen rep has a few.  I haven't used him again, a little too framy, tight gutted, and fine boned for me.  They have the 1407 look to them.  However, they have nice udders and so far are doing a dandy job of raising calves.
That is good to know.  I was going to use him on some commercial heifers.  We bought a few straws last spring - probably from the same rep..  Anyway, we changed our mind and didn't use it.  How did the calves come?  I still haven't put any in yet - maybe I won't!   

I AI'd another heifer to Goldmine this morning...      Got 6 more in to do this evening and hubby told me there are a couple more that he is watching.      Man, I love those EstroAlert tags..   

DiamondS

All of my architects but the bull were out of first calf commercial heifers.  All but one 1 out of 52 calves came unassisted.  We also used Sugar Loaf Direct Hit that year.  Only had to help 2 of 60 due to legs back, not size.  Then his BW Epd went south, so we didn't use him again.  His daughters are also calving this year, and I've had to help 3 of them out of 6....  I have not had to help any Architect daughters. 

The clean up bulls were two of my Horned Hereford bulls and there's a little more birth weight there, but they have still calved fine.  If the weather clears up, I'll try to get some pictures posted.  Out of curiosity, who's your semen rep?

kanshow

Sounds like he does what he is supposed to do.    We'd planned on using him on the later/younger commercial heifers.   

DiamondS

He would probably work for that.  I personally like a pretty soggy type of cow.  I really don't like shallow bodied hard doing cattle, and these gals are a little harder fleshing, but they are really milking.  As long as they breed back again, and keep raising good calves, they will probably stay in the herd.  The direct hits were right on for me.  Deep bodied, thick, heavy boned, but I don't like the fact that I had to pull calves out of them.... 

This year for our heifer Angus sires we used Circle S At Ease 4221 and TC Rito 416 and the At Ease calves are really turning it on....  It'll be interesting to see the end result.  As I said we also used 19 straws of South Devon semen on our heifers and got 16 calves, and at this point we will definately do it again.