AI Suggestions For Moderate Shorthorn Plus??

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Medium Rare said:
DL said:

Was the sire of the dead calf an AI bull or a herd bull? What was the accuracy of his CE EPD?

Bought her AI date safe & sexed from one of the partners in the bull.  I doubt he's in any catalogs.  He's a young bull, I'd have to look but I believe the BW was ~50% and the CED was slightly below that.

Thanks for the info and good luck with the rest of your heifers.

Rackranch - from medium rares experience you can see the importance of accuracy of CE and BW EPDs especially when dealing with crossbred heifers. While there are no guarantees using bulls with high accuracy CE and BW EPDs stacks the deck in your favor. Remember too that it is not only the weight of the calf but also the shape of the calf that is important. You may want to consider (as someone suggested) get her pelvic measured and have the measurement adjusted for age in days - there is a correlation btwn pelvic size and frame score.  That might be information that is useful to you to decide if you want to let her grow another year, breed her this year with a high accuracy CE and low BW bull, or change her career

rackranch

Thanks for all the replies, they have my wheels turning for sure.  I took the guess work out of it yesterday and went ahead and measured her hip height.  She is 43'' at the hip at 11 months...