AI technique

Help Support Steer Planet:

minimoo38

i was cleaning up the barn office the other day, and i moved the AI box. i started thinking about some of the problems that we had with the gun. everything connected fine, but sometimes the straw of semen would be stuck inside the gun. the straw wouldn't lock into the sleeve after we twisted it on. we'd have to dig it out, and because it didn't seal, the gun would get all wet with the leaked semen. whenever this happened, we put another straw in the cow. most times, this 2nd attempt would be fine, as far as no leakage.

so, what's up? bad sleeves, straws, technique.....

jbh

I always put the straw of semen in the sheath first, making sure it is locked in, and then slide the gun into the sheath.  Usually the sheaths have gotten warm and shrunk a little is about the only reason they should ever be short of twisting onto your gun.  That could of happened before you purchased them.  I've never figured out why the straw wants to stick in the gun....I always just pull out the plunger and use the end to dig out the empty semen straw.  Hope this helps.

minimoo38

we've used the plunger to pull the straw out too. it's really quite a nuisance.  :-\

the sheath/sleeve always twists on alright, it's just that it doesn't click in and seal. we'll have to experiment next year.  :)

BCCC

jbh said:
I always put the straw of semen in the sheath first, making sure it is locked in, and then slide the gun into the sheath.  Usually the sheaths have gotten warm and shrunk a little is about the only reason they should ever be short of twisting onto your gun.  That could of happened before you purchased them.  I've never figured out why the straw wants to stick in the gun....I always just pull out the plunger and use the end to dig out the empty semen straw.  Hope this helps.
Whats in you aviator?? It looks really nice!!

HGC

If you are using a cito cutter, get rid of it.  Use a pair of scissors.  Cut the straw off at a slight angle right above the semen.  The angle will help pop the straw into the insert in the sheath.  Hold the sheath snugly by pinching ever so slight right in front of the insert (don't crush the sheath) with one hand, and with the other hand put the straw into the insert and push the straw in until only about 1 inch is sticking out of the sheath.  Then put the end of the straw in the gun chamber and pull the sheath over the gun.