AI

Help Support Steer Planet:

CJC

What percentage of your cows or heifers that are AI'ed settle the first time and if they don't do you AI them again, put a bull on them, or sell them.

simtal

I think 60-65 percent is usually the norm, usually most of the non takers to AI get by the bull. So for all cows exposed I'd say around 95% bred is good.

Davis Shorthorns

Last year I got 3 out of 4 and the one that didn't settle was at least partially because of operator error.  If an animal doesn't settle the first time I always try to get them on the next natural heat.  After that it depends, if it is a heifer and you trust your bull to breed her I would go ahead and put her out.  If not then I would keep AI'in her at least one more time before you decide to sell her.    

Cattledog

This year I was at about 80% the first time around.  (clapping)  I am usually around 70-75%.  We don't have a herd bull so I keep AI'ing.

shortdawg

I AI mine then put a patch on them and breed the ones I missed on the next heat. After that the bull gets his turn.

REM

I AI for a set time period usually 40 days, then turn the bull  out. AI % has been running around 70 %. Any cow that does not stay on the first return with the bull makes the short list for culling.

red

we only AI our own herd. Farm mainly uses bull. We did turn one cow out w/ bull after several attempts to get her bred. She won't be around much longer.

Red

LN

Last year we used CIDRs on heifers and had 70% pregnancy rate first breeding. On the cows we had a 50% success rate first breeding. This year we are breeding the heifers once AI and then putting out with a bull. The cows will have two chances.

kanshow

We do 75% on the synched heifers with 1x AI.  Cows are probably the same on the ones we actually AI.  The % is much lower if we factor in all the cows we are watching.