Ai'ing: Timing, etc

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

I have limited time this year to AI, and really want to improve my conception rate. I plan on using cidrs again on my cows, but natural heat on heifers.  If I remember right, I AI about 6-10 hours after ALL riding has stopped. True?
Also, since I am only going to go one cycle (due to time) I have thought about AI"ing them TWICE, once during the late stages of standing, and again about 10 hours after standing has stopped. Will it be worth the effort? Anyone try this or have I lost my mind??? :)
What does everyone else do as far as timing goes?
By the way, I found some OB sleeves that actually loop up and over your neck so that your shoulder doesn't get all poopy!!! They are great!  (clapping)

ELBEE

I honestly believe you could skip breeding during standing heat. I've settled cows regularly 16-18 hours after standing. Anyone I see standing after noon gets bred the next morning.

red

I agree w/ Elbee on the standing heat breeding. We generally breed our 14-18 hours after the standing heat & it has worked well for us (some cows vary according to our records). We have used the approch of breeding them in the late pm & then again first thing in the morning. Seems to work well for the heifers.
Great tip on the sleeves! where did you find them at?

Red

Jill

We go with the heat in the am bred in pm, heat in pm bred in am from the last time we saw them stand.  We have on occasion done the double breeding with questionables, but it hasn't really worked well here, if they weren't a solid yes or no we don't waste the 2nd straw anymore.

Bulldogg

OK… My question on timing is. If I have a cow standing at 6 am and no idea of when she started standing when do I breed her? Then I come home for Lunch at 1 pm and another one is standing when do I breed her. Before I go to the house at night around 10:00 pm another is standing. What about her?? Also does it make a difference if she is a cow or heifer??  Should I breed heifers a little earlier? I try to sync all my cattle to come into heat so I can breed on the weekend. I usually sync in groups of 8-10. I have had really good luck with heats. The problem I have is when to breed. I guess if I see one standing I gin around all day thinking of when to breed. I guess I would just like some input on when to breed that I can follow. Thanks for the input..

ELBEE

6 AM breed at 10 PM. 1 PM breed at 6 AM. 10 PM breed at 6 AM or 1 PM. Modern, more aggressive semen will last longer in the reproductive tract. So you can get by breeding sooner (standing to 4-6 hours post). Older, weaker semen. You better be on the 12-14 hour post schedule.