AIR'ing

Help Support Steer Planet:

BIGTEX

Is this acommon pratice for steer jockys? How often do you have to do it? Is this something that you have to do just to keep up with everyone else? Thanks in advance.

carl s.

You are a terrible human being for even asking the question.  You shouldn't be allowed near a steer for even knowing that air'ing exists.

[There guys, that part of the thread is out of the way so you can focus on the actual question]

BIGTEX

carl s. said:
You are a terrible human being for even asking the question.  You shouldn't be allowed near a steer for even knowing that air'ing exists.

[There guys, that part of the thread is out of the way so you can focus on the actual question]
I am a terrible person for asking the question?

FutureBreeder2013

Your not a terrible person just not an ethical one.

Air'ing is when you seperate the skin from the rest of the body so it can fill in with fat to give your animal a larger look.

the empty pocket fills up with solid fat.

herefordfootball

carl s. said:

No he's not. He never said he was going to do it, never said he did it... Back off Carl. Accussing someone of being a terrible person when they have done nothing wrong is pretty rude. Whats wrong with being educated about these practices. They arent right, but there is nothing wrong with knowing about them.

shortdawg

BIGTEX, I'm sure it is done but you will be in deep trouble if you get caught doing it. I personally think it is very unethical and is a terrible way to treat an animal.

herefordfootball

carl s. said:
My post went right over the heads of a couple of you.

So you were saying he was terrible person, assuming someone else on here would because he posted this, therefore you "got it out of the way"? I dont think anyone would've called them a terrible person for asking, unless you were being sarcastic, which is hard to translate in text.

rocknmranch

I am glad that it was posted. I had no clue what it was, but it makes one more aware of the practices that some chose to act out.

cotullaguy

what we need is to post a HOW TO video on youtube....do not forget the vegetable oil too... <rock>

bcosu

sarcasm is an art form.

anyways, it is a little more common than many would think. there is really no sure fire way of telling if a calf has been aired so people get away with it all the time.

it's an easy way out from an actual good one.

irh

I'll tell you one thing the airing needs to be investiagted here in ohio and indiana.  Worked at a butcher shop about 10 years ago, seen the vegetable oil come out of the t-bone steaks, laughed at the time and said, didn't need to add any oil to the pan on this one.  Owner won't do anything about it though, cause of all the trouble.  It was the reserve champion at our fair that year.  It gets really hard to show against these people.at $45 dollars a show, it's getting to be what is the point.  The state of ohio cracked downon this thing probaly close to 12 years ago. but people are back to doing it again.  How are they going to catch anything in heifers, when they are not a terminal animal?

aj

What would keep say,a top Shorthorn breeder from airing a bull? Does it shorten life span or hurt semen production?Thanks in advance.

Torch

The danger here is, what if Peta or some other animals rights group hears about this. If you look at it through their eyes, they would have a field day with all that goes on in the clubby world.

What's really scary, how would we defend it? Don't really think we should or could.

Throttle

I too have always been curious as to just how common it is...Always hear accusations but never heard anyone who I thought would really know for sure say much... What does anyone here know about how common it really is? More in steers or heifers?

Yes, these are the kinds of practices that the animal rights groups can completely tee off on, so add that to the list of reasons not to do it, just in case you needed more

Dusty

Torch said:
The danger here is, what if Peta or some other animals rights group hears about this. If you look at it through their eyes, they would have a field day with all that goes on in the clubby world.

What's really scary, how would we defend it? Don't really think we should or could.

I would like to see PETA try to get a hidden camera into a steer jocks barn.  And then I would like to see what happened to him when they caught him.....

RAShower

Dusty said:
Torch said:

I would like to see PETA try to get a hidden camera into a steer jocks barn.  And then I would like to see what happened to him when they caught him.....

The one thing I have learned about steer jocks is that money talks.