Alfalfa Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

Ive got a dumb question. We are planting alfalfa for the 1st time on a 4 ac hay field to experiment with it. We want to do a 50/50 mix of that and fescue/orchard. How much alfalfa seed will we need to get it going good?

ELBEE

15 lbs alfalfa x 4 acres. Can get by with 7 lbs, but wouldn't risk it on that small acreage. Broadcast alfalfa, or plant at a max. depth 1\4 inch.

(lol)

Show Heifer

I just drilled some PURE alfalfa on 15 acres yesterday (well, I didn't, but had the seed salesman do it). He said one bag (50#) will do 2.5 acres. I used NO cover crop and didn't put on any grass seed. I feel like the grass comes fast enough without putting it there on purpose!!!

red

we started a field out w/ alfalfa & tripper. After the tripper is gone you have a good stand of alfalfa.
One note: you need to check for weevil & other insects the damage alfafa regularly. I use a net, measure off an area & then count bugs. You can judge how bad the infestation is based on swipes & size of area.

Red

CAB

Keep the fescue out for sure. Orchard grass is the most compatible with alfalfa as far as maturing @ the same time for harvest. As far as planting rates are concerned, I would seed 10 to 12lbs of alfalfa and 2 to 3lbs of orchard grass, but I would also caution you to not get the small seed too deep. I have a cultipacker and would seed 8-10lbs of alfalfa seed and get get stands of alfalfa. Good luck.

kanshow

We usually plant ours with an annual like wheat or oats.    That way you have a pure alfalfa stand after the first cutting or second cutting.  On some of the poorer ground, people will seed brome with the alfafla or into an existing stand for a more permanant stand.     

CAB

The problem with using brome over orchard grass is that the brome will sod over and choke out your alfalfa whereas the orchard is a bunch type grass and if you keep cutting your hay field in a timely fashion, (B4 it heads out and goes to seed), you will be able to have a better stand of alfalfa for a longer time, plus like I said above, the orchard grass is more compatible maturity wise than the brome as far as when is the optimum time to harvest in term total nutritional value.

showsteerdlux

The only reason I am using fescue is that we are in the south and orchard does not grow well by itsself. we are using Max q fescue and after we have baled the hay once we will stockpile it for winter as this is also where we winter the cows. Is it better to broadcast it or drill it?

kanshow

That is true about brome but orchard grass doesn't do as well in our area. 

red

We drill the alfalfa in too. also top dress & spray for bugs. We typically get about 4-5 cutting off.

Here is a picture of a field across from our house.

Red

Attachments

• 100_1969.jpg
    100_1969.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 303