Ali as sire... opinions?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShortyJ13

I was told that Ali would be a good sire for my heifer...she's an appendix shorthorn;blue roan. I'm kind of iffy because I've heard good and bad... My only major goal is to get a live calf on the ground -defect free- being that it will be her first. Opinions or suggestions?

OH Breeder

ShortyJ13 said:
I was told that Ali would be a good sire for my heifer...she's an appendix shorthorn;blue roan. I'm kind of iffy because I've heard good and bad... My only major goal is to get a live calf on the ground -defect free- being that it will be her first. Opinions or suggestions?
I may be one of the few, but, I am not necessarily a big fan of ALI. I haven't seem him be consistent in what he produces. Of course, this year have heard lots of birthweights all over the board. If it were me, I would Elbee's Leader Gizmo. SEK, 100/straw, but worth every penny. You will get a lively small calf at birth but they grow.
If you email me I can send some pictures and you decide.

cattlechick

I have been pleased with my ali's. Used him on 1st calvers. Came easy, grew fast. Am using on some again.

red

i've heard a lot of good & bad things about Ali. Some of his calves, especially from Heat Seeker lines, can be big. Also some just don't get the growth other wants.
I'm going to use Major's Money Man on my heifers this year. Just a personal choice.
Since she is a Shorthorn, have you considered a Red angus? I'm sure the others can give you good sires for BW's. Like you said, first goal is a live calf & heifer!

Red

showcattlegal

I didn't like mine at first but now their some of my best calves. I did lose one out of a mossy oak heifer he was 93 lbs and 2 days over due. There 2 were 10 days and 6 days early the heifer was 62 and the bull was 65 lbs. They are growing now and catching my other calves, and getting better everyday.

Lacey

Show Heifer

I am neutral on Ali.....ok, but nothing to get all giddy about IMO.
I am using Jakes Proud Jazz on my heifers this year. But the suggestion to go red angus has some merit. Just be careful to go to the extreme calving ease....as I know a few shorty breeders that used some moderate BW reds and ended up with 130 pound babies!!  Crossbreeding heterosis must work in utero also!!!

BigGH

I love ali had average birth weights of 75 pounds out of heifers but going to use raptor on heifers this year to be safe.

red

(welcome) BigGH!

Great looking calf for your profile picture! What is it out of?

Red

justme

I'ver used Ali for 2 years now.  Some on heifers some on cows....I liked the birth weights but the calves did nothing for me.  On the other hand, I've seen a ton of ALI calves at Core's and they are awesome.  Deb just loves him and he clicks with there genetics.  I'm like Red, I'm using Money Man on my heifers.

Chap

i have had 2 out of first calf heifers and they both came very easy, vigorous and have grown ok.  First one was a out of a Strictly Business that had Zero milk so he did not get a real fair shake.  I am going to use him on about 15 virgin heifers this weekend.  10 of which are 1/2 blood black nosed Char/angus heifers.  Hopefully he will inject a little more "look" and hair to their gene pool.  the heifers are stout and sound but are a little plain as a whole.