Ali semen from SEK

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I just got my price list. They have Ali listed for $25. Does anyone know if he's available?

Red

Doc

red said:
I just got my price list. They have Ali listed for $25. Does anyone know if he's available?

Red

They have some for $200/straw ,reselling it for someone. Said Lautner was going to send them some this week & it would be $300/straw.

Jill

He was a nice calving ease bull, but he isn't IMO worth over 25/straw, too many other good ones out there.

red

their price list is confusing. They have Hard Core listed as a Club bull, gigolo Joe in the % Maine. On their website both Joe & Money Man aren't even listed.
There are some older bulls in their estate semen.

Red

Doc

I may try DCC Smokin Joe on a couple of hfrs. I like the looks of him . Christy at SEK said they are selling the heck out of his semen.

KDSC

Doc said:
I may try DCC Smokin Joe on a couple of hfrs. I like the looks of him . Christy at SEK said they are selling the heck out of his semen.
what is he??

DL

KDSC said:
Doc said:
what is he??

He is a double bred Energizer (NBH Polled Energizer 688 - Canadian bull bred by Haadlands), sired by Ali out of Mike O'Hara's MVH Miss Pinnacle 4J who goes back to some really powerful maternal genetics (Eclipse --> Chicago ---> Smithbilt) as well as the famous fullblood cow Horton Helena.

Now you would think that since he is a 2004 model that could have gotten him TH and PHA tested prior to this breeding season (no there is nothing in his pedigree to suggest he is a carrier of either) but it ain't rocket science - gonna market a Maine (Shorthorn or xbred bull) get your test results and use it as a marketing tool

I guess I would not use him on heifers - if 300 Angus heifers had a BW of 75 lbs and his BW EPD is +1.7 (with a rather poor accuracy) and the average BW for Maines in the data base over the years is in the 85 to 87 pound range - either no data was submitted for all these Angus heifers or there is something wierd with the EPD

His # is 337244

justme

From what I've seen so far, I prefer him over Ali any day.  My ali's didn't amount to anything.  I really think even though he's an older bull he'll really be taking off.  Calving ease with preformance and heifers that will show AND make cows.  (at least I'm hoping, I have a bunch bred to him lol) 

boomer

My son has an Ali heifer this year. She is turning out to be OK. She is in the picture I use. She was about 2 -3 hours old when my son took this. We'll see how she does at first show in about 2 weeks?

DL

Doc said:
So, Majors Money Man  for hfrs.? Lead me!

Hey Doc - I have 2 MM heifers and a steer calf (as of yesterday :( ) out of Gold Medallion (Midas) , Impact and Topper purebred Maine cows - the heifers are awesome and all 3 were born unassisted and were incredibly vigorous - out of cows they weighed btwn 83 and 89 lbs (my cows are big - 1600-1800 lbs) - I wanted to try him on cows before heifers. Majors sent me their calving records for the past couple of years and their calves out of heifers are little - I would have to find the email but Colleen said if they are at all straight in the back he could accentuate that, but otherwise almost any cow. These heifers get better and deeper every day - it is almost like they were squeezed out like toothpaste and then develop shape (now that is a weird visual) - what I am trying to say is they aren't (except for their vigor) really impressive when they hit the ground but they grow and get better every day....I used a Red Angus bull on my heifers this year.....we will soon know how that goes ...I am not a big fan of Ali (I'll stop at that)... (clapping)