Alias, Milk Man, Golden Child, and Heat Wave Heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

e/bcattle

I've got a couple Alias heifers as well as a Milk Man, Golden Child and Heat Wave (original) heifer that I am breeding in May.  The Alias heifers are January '10 and the other two are March '10.  I am looking at putting some Rocky Balboa in them and was looking for other suggestions from everyone here on steerplanet.  I am open to any and all suggestions and the heifers currenlty weigh between 740 and 1000 pounds. 

Please don't leave any negative comments as these heifers are what I am looking for and hope to get some great calves out of them. 

TMBCATTLE

JUST A THOUGHT BUT I WOULD USE THE RINGER ON HEIFERS. HES AN ALI SON AND HE SIRES QUITE A FEW HIGH SELLERS. PLUS HES ONLY $20 A UNIT. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM CALVING THESE OUT AND THEY ARE  VERY MARKETABLE.

aandtcattle

Hey e/b,
I wouldnt be scared of Johnny Walker Red.  I never have used him on heifers but never had one out of a cow over 82 pounds, damn good calves too.  Dont know what you think of baldies and brocos but he could be an outcross option for you to consider?  No worries about the Indian Outlaw post, I'm not jealous of Lautners and I surely wasnt taking a shot at them either.  Matt was at my place in 2009 and Chance and Dax were here last spring and for that I am grateful, they have forgot more about the club calf business than I will ever know.  In hindsight it sounds silly what I said after finding out IO was sick but I am in the semen business too and know first-hand that when a bull doesnt produce semen well, the price tag goes up, thats just a fact.  It is also a fact that I had crumby luck with my IO semen compared to all the other sires I used last year - no denying it. I am handing you my peace-pipe, have a toke. ;)

oldwood

we have had a few RB's out of first calf heifers with no problem, with one steer being light weight champion at state fair out of a hardcore. i suggest  northern improvement, or majors money man on the heatwave based heifers ,JMO.

vet tech

oldwood said:
we have had a few RB's out of first calf heifers with no problem, with one steer being light weight champion at state fair out of a hardcore. i suggest  northern improvement, or majors money man on the heatwave based heifers ,JMO.
With clubby pedigrees like that Id stay clear of anything clubby for baby number one. Pick a low BW angus bull

chambero

I've calved out a dozen or so Golden Child heifers.  No trouble with any and all of ours are milking fine.  I've also used Rocky Balboa on heifers and cows.  I would not use him on GC females.  Based on my experience, the calves are unlikely to have enough growth out of that combo to be useful for show or anything else.  I have gotten some real good Northern Improvement calves out of GC heifers, one that we are showing now.

TBCattle1

I would personally use Rocky Balboa, but on the Heatwave heifers I would sure stay cold blooded and go with an Angus like Nothern Improvement or Copyright.

debtramm

We have bred a G.C. to Rocky with extremely good results.  Additionally, we've used RB on a # of other heifers - it's all good.  D

oldwood

chambero said:
I've calved out a dozen or so Golden Child heifers.  No trouble with any and all of ours are milking fine.  I've also used Rocky Balboa on heifers and cows.  I would not use him on GC females.  Based on my experience, the calves are unlikely to have enough growth out of that combo to be useful for show or anything else.  I have gotten some real good Northern Improvement calves out of GC heifers, one that we are showing now.
Chambero you are exactly right, thats why we had light weight champion, just didnt have the grow in him,plenty stylish and complete though.

jmb1498

Soehnlen Cattle Co. said:
oldwood said:
With clubby pedigrees like that Id stay clear of anything clubby for baby number one. Pick a low BW angus bull

I agree if it was me I would use sexed heifer BC Lookout or SAV Bismark. 

clubcalve

I would go all Angus. Take all chance out of the equation...... well not all but most lol