Alias Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

clubcalve

What is a bull that will make the same kind of calves as alias but make them a little more sound. I was thinking power trip but any more suggestions are great. Thanks

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
The eye candy cattle we have are sure sound, if your lookinf smoke the Muddy Water calves we have are sure sound but haven't used him on many of these crossed up cows... Our alias an Carnac we don't have much trouble with then unless you cross them with something like WMW ....

clubcalve

Are any of these bulls going to give the thickness that Alias does. I think that muddy water might work good.

Show Steaks

i'd try "amen " on angus he has alor of power, otherr new bulls might be smoke and mirrors, uno mas, the hangover

Sly

Hardly anything works on straight angus cows. Not anyhing fron the bulls it is hard too get good hair and bone in full blood angus cows.  They have too be way stout and good haired to cross up and make show steers. jmo

Freddy

Sly -you need to look through some of the ancestors of Angus if you need hair , can think of one bloodline of Angus that was not used down south because of so much hair an didn't shed very good .  If your using these carcass lines of Angus you proably will have not very much hair ....  Some of the Angus kinda got that hostein look an Holsteins never did have much hair .....

nck21

I wouldn't say hardly anything works on Angus cows. Monopoly is out of a full angus cow. I do agree though that it is better to cross those angus cows with some maine or simmi, but you need to have that angus base.

Freddy

You guys are pretty good ,you hit it right on the head ,365 was the sire I was thinking of an have had guys complain about his offspring having to much hair an some reason down south they didn't like that with the fescue .    His greatest son Northern Improvement also has helped the Angus breed  as far as siring some cattle with muscle, looks an some hair.  We raised a bull called NORTHERN GUN that has been used by different people because he throws a good hair coat an very neat front end on some different combinations .. Carroussel has had him at there place since January of 2004 an talked to Brad
an he said they had to keep him separate all the time cause he is such a scraper ...Have a bunch of semen collected that will proably throw away one of these days so if anyone needed some I sure would have some ....We have been breeding some of the NG COWS to clubby bulls an like most 365 cattle haveproduced some good calves an have plenty of milk though his EPD'S don't show it ...

clubcalve

I am not looking for really good hair i am looking for a thinck calf that is going to compete with out 3 inches of hair. Hair is just a added bonus lol

nck21

I would use Point Taken. I don't think you'll find a clubby bull make them much thicker than he does. They don't have any hair so they'll work just fine for you.  ;D