Alias - Red Carrier

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap

Had a set of twins last night out of a smokey 1/2 blood char/angus cow.  first calf is smokey colored like his sire and dam.  2nd calf is Dark Cherry Red.  Can anyone else confirm Alias as a red carrer?  I guess he must be as this mating was 5 days early with 75 lb twins to the AI date.  I have seen some butterscotch colored ones from him, but never a deep red.  Does the Char allow for a single dominant?  Black x smoke can equal black, can red x smoke = Red?

Dusty

A charolais is homo red(2 red genes).  Alias would be a black animal, but hetero black.  Your cow would also be a red gene carrier.  What happened is the red genes matched up, but didn't pull any of the diluter gene to make her butterscotch colored.  At least thats the way I see it.

TJ

Dusty said:
A charolais is homo red(2 red genes).  Alias would be a black animal, but hetero black.  Your cow would also be a red gene carrier.  What happened is the red genes matched up, but didn't pull any of the diluter gene to make her butterscotch colored.  At least thats the way I see it.

Romax & Dusty are correct. 

Not that it really matters what the gene is called, but I'm pretty sure that the diluter gene is found in Simmi's, but I'm also pretty sure that it's a different gene in Charolais cattle & it's "scientifically" called something else.  They both work very similar though.  Irregardless, it is a gene that does "whiten" the actual color & it can do that at various rates.  Obviously, White is the the most "whitened", followed by yellow & going all the way to orangish & then on to red, which is not "whitened" at all.  Same thing with the black smokes. 

Cattle Fan

We have used Alias quite a bit and we have had white, chocolate, smokey black, red and everything in between.  The reds and the choclates have been mostly out of roan shorthorns.  The whites, smokeys and blacks have been out of angus and black maines.  In my opinion Alias will change a common cow more than any bull we have ever used but you do have to be carefull on structure because  he will throw some problems.

Chap

thanks all, My first experience using a smokey bull and 2nd round on the cows.  last year they were bred to ALI and Homo Black Sim/angus.  had 30% smokes and 70% solid blacks.  Had another smoke cow calve today with a whopper of an Alias heifer calf.  Reddish Blonde in color and SUPER STOUT! 

clubcalve

Speaking of alias has any one else had his calves early because all of mine have been atleast 7 days early ???