All OK after storms?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I just wanted to check in w/ those that have been getting hit hard by storms. i know southern MO & parts of OK had tornadoes. Also some areas are experiencing flooding.

We just are really wet & windy here. Temp was 57 first thing this morning & has dropped 10 degrees.

Red

BRdoc

Red, Parts of OK got hammered. We just had the " inch and a half rain in 45 min" thing. Love those rains on my roads! parts of the state had tennis- ball -size hail. OUCH

knabe

when it's dry in CA, it's gonna rain somewhere else.  kinda like breeding cattle.  we've had a slightly dry year with insufficient rain to get things going good and not enough to snow on the mountains to fill lakes from last years lower rainfall's.  don't know if i'd call it a drought, but it's pretty impressive that the longer it doesn't rain as storms build and move east, the more they dump later.

showgirl2010

I guess it was last week that we got 11in!  It was just starting to dry out and it rained yesterday.  I pray that some rain would go where the people really need it.  It got so bad here my Aunt couldn't get to her house and there are 3 different way to get there.

Jamie

SWMO

Not sure how much rain we got yesterday it was alot. Can we find a way to bank it for July and August?  ???

It certainly came hard and fast lots of wind in places however, we managed to miss the really bad winds here in Carthage.  South and East of us they certainly got the wind both tornados and straight line.

Which brings up my biggest pet peeve right now with the weather guessers.  The tornado warnings that are issued based on radar.  I wish they had a third rating.  first a Watch second a radar watch and third a warning that there is a tornado sighted.  Even with the radar they are still missing some of the tornados.  I believe that the one that hit Buffalo MO yesterday wasn't spotted on radar.  But many of the ones spotted on radar just never develop on the ground.

red

also how about the tornado sirens? They make such a big deal about them in cities but what warnings do we have in rural areas? Could we even hear them?

I'm just glad that so far everyone is safe.

Red

kimbaljd

This made me think back to when I was a kid. I live in Alvin, Texas and below is a part of an article about  a storm we had back in 1979. I remember this to this very day vividly. It was amazing and we had to take a john boat to get down to our shop at the back of our land.

The all-time United States record for rainfall in a 24-hour period was set in Texas in 1979.  This broke the record set in 1921 in the flood described on the previous page.  The current record holder is Alvin, Texas.  Alvin doesn't have any dramatic topography to trigger precipitation.  It just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The event was Tropical Storm Claudette.  Not the Claudette that made landfall in July 2003, but the one that made landfall in July 1979.  The storm moved slowly inland over southeast Texas, causing about $750M in property and crop damage.  The highest rainfall total at an official site was a remarkable 40" in 24 hours, but a nearby unofficial site, confirmed by the National Weather Service, recorded 43" in 24 hours. 

That's an impressive amount of rain no matter how you look at it.  Normally you would have to put a garbage can under the storm gutter of a house to have any hope of filling it up during a rainstorm.  But with Claudette the trash can could have been left out in the open and it still would have filled up.

shorthorns r us

forget about watching network tv when a storm is approaching central OK.  all the weathermen around here get nuts at the possibility of reporting a tornado.  they actually seem disapointed if a "promising" storm fails to "tornado".  yes, that's right, they have turned it into a verb.

knabe

SRU said:
get nuts at the possibility of reporting a tornado.  they actually seem disapointed if a "promising" storm fails to "tornado". 

same thing with any topic with the news in general.  lays the seed for the promise of victimhood.

ie burning one's mortgage papers to stay warm in a house that was too big and too expensive in the first place purchased with an adjustable mortgage when they could have put about 20% down (which they had) on a more modest home with a lot cheaper fixed rate and cheaper energy requirements to boot.

they were just toooo giddy to report that.  what losers.

red

my white death theory. The news reporters get so excited & then it fizzles out to be nothing. you can just feel their disappointment!

Red

showgirl2010

Oh wow! 40in is an amazing amount of rain let alone in a 24 hour period.  
Tornado turned into a verb...hilarious.

Jamie