All time favorites

Help Support Steer Planet:

itk

I kind of mentioned this on another post but I was just wondering what the best bovines that people have seen or their all-time favorite beasts are. I think the best bull I have ever seen is Remitall Online and my all-time favorite cow is Haroldson's Destiny. I guess my college roomates rubbed off on me since they are both Canadian Herefords. As far as shorthorns go I would have to say Mattis, Steck's Cherry cow and Melbar MVF Star Baby 3637. I am still trying to find a all-time favorite shorthorn bull but I guess I am still looking.

Attachments

• online-thumb.jpg
    online-thumb.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 19g.jpg
    19g.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 374

red

My all time favorite bull is Foreplay. I just commented how his genentics pass down the line. A great granddaughter of his has the eyes & the great cow look.

Red

genes

itk said:
I guess my college roomates rubbed off on me since they are both Canadian Herefords.

And here I'm thinking I just wish I would have gotten a cow as a roommate.    (lol)  Sorry...couldn't resist.

afhm

It would be hard fot me to just pick 1 all time favorite bull and female so I'll just list a few of each.

Bulls: Full Flush, Full Throttle,Meyer 734, Payback, Traveler 6807, Heat Wave, Warpath, Double Stuff, Double Vision, Chill Factor, Draft Pick, Heat Seeker, Ali, OCC Anchor, OCC Emblazon, McCarney, Irish Whiskey, EXT, VRD

Cows: Cookie(limousin), Pannell 4072, Harrietta,Schultz 148 (Foreplay's dam), Sullivan's 6651 angus, Heartbreaker, White Boy's dam, 224X, Monsoon's dam, NFL's dam, Kami (Parker's dam) GK Chill Factor 602G, Crall C 20

DL

WOW - it sure would be hard for me to pick an all time favorite bull or female that carried a lethal genetic defect - sorry - I know it is an opinion thing, but...I can't help myself - I see disease I want to stamp it out (sorta like the Doors song eh?).

My 2 all time favorite bulls are actually bulls I have never seen in person, but since to me a great bull is capable of producing great females I have to go with DF Midas and FR Magic, Pistol Pete would be a close 3rd.

Females - tougher for sure - A Smithbilt daughter JMP Zelda was about the most perfect phenotypic Maine cow I ever laid eyes on.....besides being pretty and feminine and correct and volumes, and depth and rib she had just the right amount of bone and feet the size of Wrigley field and a great disposition - WOW! (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

afhm

I realize several of my choices are carriers of one or the other defects and some possibly both, they are capable of producing non-carriers and with proper management it will all be OK IMO.  I don't want to start a argument, but I want to justify why I choose these animals just a little.  Just think of the revenue from just one year of any of them, talk about a new tax bracket.  Both the bulls and the females exhibit great longevity and staying power.  The bulls are the sires of some of the most sought after and proven females in the industry, some for close to 20 years.  They also have sired some of the best and winningest steers ever.  The two Shorthorns changed their breed forever and not just with th and pha, they started and still drive the shorthorn craze in the club calf industry.  The simmy's are the sires of most of the greatest club calf cows around, and the Meyers will still be popular in another 20 years probably longer.  6807 is the bull Ohlde's herd is built around that should be enough said on that.  The maines listed are awesome female sires.  On the cows, they are definitely bull makers, meaning want your bull to be famous breed him to them because they would make a great one out of any bull, even a mountain goat crossed on these cows would be a hit.  Cookie just maybe the most perfect cow ever, and definitely is in her breed.  She would be hard to beat in the showring even today.  How many cows have as many sons being promoted as 4072 and Harrietta do?  The  C20 is closing in on sons being promoted.  602G started out as a great steer producer but has since proven to be far superior in female production.  There are many daughters of 148 that are donors across the country.  6651 is Heat Seeker's best friend.  Her offspring has won many shows and were some of the highest selling calves ever for Sully.  Kami was a national champion and raised a national champion who has sired champions.  Also I forgot to add Cunia on the bull list.

chambero

I don't know that any "show steer" bull was ever more dominant than Sugar Ray.  He is still out there in almost every common pedigree.

I have an old magazine somewhere that has his calf picture in Denver in it.

Telos

Chambero, Sugar Ray was the most influential clubby bull. Still to this day his genetics can be found in most the good ones. They sure could be goofy between the ears to say the least.

DL, if I remember correctly you had an embryo or two of a Midas x Zelda mating. Please tell me that you still do.

Telos

afhm.

What is White Boys dam?  Kind of think he is an interesting Heat Wave, but did not realize he had a special mother. Do you have any info on her, other then being a
Charolais? Thanks in advance.

DL

Telos said:
DL, if I remember correctly you had an embryo or two of a Midas x Zelda mating. Please tell me that you still do.

Telos - I have 3 Midas x Zelda; 3 Midas x Carleen; 3 Midas x Administrators daughter (don't know much about that female need to get her # so you can tell me about her) and some Chili x Kelsey (plus of course my own) - had a Midas x Carleen heifer a while back and sold her after her first calf - our personalities were not compatible  ;D Waiting for the appropriate time and recip for the Zelda's.....

Telos - did you ever see Zelda when she was in Texas?

afhm

Telos White Boy's dam is just flat out awesome, wish we had a pic of her.  She is tree trunk legged, good fronted has tremendous spring and depth of rib.  She is as stout as a tank, yet she is still feminine pretty as a model.  People like to use the term ground sow, she is the epitome of this term.  Idon't know if she is registered, but she is a purebred and you can pick her out literally from a mile away in SD at Les's.  As far as being special in other ways she can lay claim to the fact that she is the mother to one of if not the only thf sons of Heat Wave being promoted.  Even though she had nothing to do with it that's got to make a mother proud.

bluegrass

I have to agree on Sugar Ray he changed a lot of cattle for the better. On the cow side I will go with 2536 she is the best cow I have ever seen and have not heard of any cow producing more revenue than her.

DL

Gypsy said:
Just being nosy - is that JMP Zelda 43Z?

Oh Gypsy - nosey is good!
Flat out awesome cow - I have a picture of her (if I can find it)

Someone we know found he in a field with (I believe) a Brangus calf and bought her (not the calf). When she stopped producing embryos he offered her to me - but the price was a bit steep for a nonproducing cow so......Calves (Midas x Zelda) are every bit as good as mother

anyhow Red and I have a plan, check your PM....

Gypsy

I have a pic of Zelda from a brochure I picked up in Denver a few years back.  I'll check my PM.

DL

Gypsy said:
I have a pic of Zelda from a brochure I picked up in Denver a few years back.  I'll check my PM.

That is the one I have too - I amy have another but I can't find anything right now!