Alpha mannosidosis - old defect returns

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

I had quit this dicussion because I was tired of defending my breeding program to people that really don't have a serious interest in the Red Angus breed. I have 20+ years in this breed and through my own selection of genetics have as of yet to have a carrier animal of any kind yet. Most of my pedigrees I have bred 3 to 5+ generation. I do a 3 generation line breeding on every sire that I obtain, most of which are never seen by the general public and it takes several years to accomplish. Maybe tommorrow I will have the next "defect" in every animal I own. I will make this statement and leave this thread. I will test whatever animals I am required to by our association, I will not test every animal I own everytime a new defect comes along unless required to. It's pretty easy to preach that you should test every animal you own for every new defect that comes along if you own 4 cows, if you have to put up the cash for 70+ cows it's not so easy. All right that was two statements. Good bye. RW

Show Heifer

I wasn't trashing your program... I was hoping to get some insight on what lab was testing for MA before the RAA certified agrigenomics as a lab. Obviously testing was being done before last week, or your bull would not have been "free".  So I apologize if you do not know what lab tested your bull and confirmed him as "free". My bad, and my apology.
So my question was about where to send samples. Is there a lab in canada?
RW, I know your Dad has had reds for many many years. I ask this in honestly, but if he found a dead calf would his first thought be "Gee, this looks like a genetic defect. Better take a ear notch." or would he think "Gosh darn it, a dead calf. Off to the ditch we go."  Because honestly I think many, regardless of age, would think the later statement.  Until they get 50 of them, and then its off for the head hunt.

I think it was a wonderful idea that the RAA is being proactive and was smart enough to realize with OS, that many would be going north to find genetics. It seems like the US has OS, and canada has MA.  No mystery.

Every cattle breed does have defects... and thanks to man, will continue to have defects. It is a fact I have come to terms with. The terms I can not accept is people selling untested pedigrees (even when required by assoc), selling carriers with no explanation, and selling "commercial heifers" that are actually purebreds/registered but are carriers with no papers.  THAT is what I will NEVER come to terms with.

(PS. JFYI, I have more than 4 cows... and I also do not know my bankers hours!! Yeah for me!!) 

DL

From the Brylor web site FYI

"By now many of you have heard of the recessive gene that causes Mannosidosis in Angus cattle. We received official notification that we have carrier bulls on Friday, April 2, 2010. We did request some time from both associations so that we could personally contact and notify as many people/co-owners affected by this situation as possible.

This is not a new genetic disease but instead a very old one re-surfacing. It is being linked to somewhere on the bottom black side on our late great 40X cow, she is just another carrier in a long line of carriers. In turn, it has made a carrier out of many (not all) of her great sons, grandsons and one full brother she has. "

The list of clean animals is on their web site http://www.brylor.com/Dear%20Customers.htm

carriers bulls are listed below 

Red Brylor 40X Baily 50K
SDS Squall 230S
Red Brylor Bodacious 79K
Red Brylor Stringer 79S
Red Brylor  Master Plan 17M

TPX

DL said:
From the Brylor web site FYI

"By now many of you have heard of the recessive gene that causes Mannosidosis in Angus cattle. We received official notification that we have carrier bulls on Friday, April 2, 2010. We did request some time from both associations so that we could personally contact and notify as many people/co-owners affected by this situation as possible.

This is not a new genetic disease but instead a very old one re-surfacing. It is being linked to somewhere on the bottom black side on our late great 40X cow, she is just another carrier in a long line of carriers. In turn, it has made a carrier out of many (not all) of her great sons, grandsons and one full brother she has. "

The list of clean animals is on their web site http://www.brylor.com/Dear%20Customers.htm

carriers bulls are listed below 

Red Brylor 40X Baily 50K
SDS Squall 230S
Red Brylor Bodacious 79K
Red Brylor Stringer 79S
Red Brylor  Master Plan 17M

I seen this on Brylor's website yesterday and was suprised at how many there were.  There are a couple bulls on there that were promoted pretty hard and used by alot of breeders so it will be interesting if there is alot of testing done on these sires progeny.