Alphatoxin and the midwest corn crop

Help Support Steer Planet:

JSchroeder

Our local feed guy just got back from the Midwest and says that alphatoxin is going to be a big issue for corn coming from there.

Are you guys with corn up there seeing it?

creativecattle

Lots of talk about it on our crop tour in Iowa on Friday. We'll be doing some research. have been told it is ok to feed to cattle, but not all hogs can get it therefore no one doing ethanol will take it because they aren't sure where that DDG will end up. Could provide some opportunities for cattle producers as people figure it will knock the price down. Would love to hear others thoughts.

bruiser

Saw a few loads rejected at a local river terminal last week. Funny thing is the corn went 2 miles down the road to another river terminal and it passed the test. Something smells awful fishy to me about the methods. I believe you can still feed it to fat cattle though, just not pregnant cows.

nkotb

The issue with distillers grains is that you take the starch out of the kernel, and are left with the part of the kernel where the aflatoxin is located.  Thus, you have concentrated the aflatoxin into the distillers grains, instead of having it in the whole grain.  It can kill all types of cattle, but, like nitrates, takes a higher concentration to kill than to cause abortions. Aflatoxin is another product that is naturally occuring and always present in the corn plant, but any injury/stress make it worse.  Hail/drought could make it bad; earworms, if bad enough, can make it really high as it opens the plant up to infection right at the kernel.

Shorthorns4us

You probably already know-- but be sure to check with your crop insurance on how they are going to cover your crop if you have positive tests.  Our agent has told us that it will need to be tested in field before you run to have  claim.  Also discovered each coop will have different procedures for your loads in our area. 
We are going to test in field before we start to be sure and not mess with our chance for insurance claim-- can't afford to mess up this year!
EF

jsuhr

Does this just effect the feed value or the plant? How would the damage be different for corn silage compared to corn as just grain?

nkotb

The biggest issue with testing in field is the same as hand-shelling a sample for moisture, the whole field is going to be different than the little bit you sample.  The aflatoxin only affects the grain, so in theory the silage would dilute the grain down with the rest of the plant and aflatoxin should be less.  However, it would still be present so if an animal got a big slug of grain could hurt them.  I can't remember for sure, but I think aflatoxin in a silo can continue to get worse also.

flacowman

Alphatoxin is also really bad on chickens but if the overall supply is in decent shape then most buying points will buy a few loads that test high and just mix them in with the general supply.  We sell to a feed mill that grinds for Purdue and have never had a problem with bad loads as they get enough good loads that it will dilute to almost nothing.  That said, if the majority of the supply has dangerous levels then that will become a serious issue very quickly

bruiser

Talked to my elevator guy today about aflatoxin. He laughed and said they were testing them sample bucket once a day. Hen laughed when I told him about the meetings I had been to. He thinks the insurance guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. They are covering their a%% in case there is a lot of aflatoxin found. Then they can stand back and say " we told you so" and not pay the claim.

ia girl

How will this affect the preg cows that are we put out in stock fields??