Alternatives to Beet Pulp

Help Support Steer Planet:

fordkindagirl

My steer can't have beet pulp, at all, or he scours.We tried Full Tank, thinking that since it had a little less concentration of beet pulp than the straight beet pulp we were giving him, but he still scoured. Would cottonseed hulls work? Or something similar?

P.S. I tested my theory of him not being able to take beet pulp by taking him off of it for a couple days and wah-la he was solid again, put him back on it- scours.

Ms Ray

how much are you giving him?  start very slow a few hand fulls see if that is ok for a few days then a few more.

Bradenh

cotton seed hulls are our alternative. we dont even use beet pulp any more. especially when you start wanting a calf fat. pour it to him

fordkindagirl

Ms Ray said:
how much are you giving him?   start very slow a few hand fulls see if that is ok for a few days then a few more.
He was on 1 lb and I worked him up to it over a week.

fordkindagirl

Show stopper 95 said:
cotton seed hulls are our alternative. we dont even use beet pulp any more. especially when you start wanting a calf fat. pour it to him
Since your in my area, where can I buy some? Preferably 50 lb bags.

The Show

fordkindagirl said:
My steer can't have beet pulp, at all, or he scours.We tried Full Tank, thinking that since it had a little less concentration of beet pulp than the straight beet pulp we were giving him, but he still scoured. Would cottonseed hulls work? Or something similar?

P.S. I tested my theory of him not being able to take beet pulp by taking him off of it for a couple days and wah-la he was solid again, put him back on it- scours.
Beet pulp and FT both give calves the scours when you first start them on it. I've had some that cleared up in a few days and some took a week or more. I'd ease him into it for 3 or 4 days and if he doesn't get better by 10 days after that I would switch to hulls.

fordkindagirl

The Show said:
fordkindagirl said:

Beet pulp and FT both give calves the scours when you first start them on it. I've had some that cleared up in a few days and some took a week or more. I'd ease him into it for 3 or 4 days and if he doesn't get better by 10 days after that I would switch to hulls.
Had him on it for 3 months, scours never went away. Was on 1 lb all 3 months cause didn't want to bump him with him having scours.

Bradenh

producers coop in bryan has them. . idk how much the bag weighes off the top of my head but its pretty big. they expand and are not real dense so they dont wiegh much..... i thank its 25 lbs but its the same size as a 50 lb bag

fordkindagirl

Show stopper 95 said:
producers coop in bryan has them. . idk how much the bag weighes off the top of my head but its pretty big. they expand and are not real dense so they dont wiegh much..... i thank its 25 lbs but its the same size as a 50 lb bag
Figured producer's would have them lol. Already goin there Mon. so I'll check it out.

afhm

What is your rationale behind feeding the beet pulp or the hulls?  Is your steer too big and you're trying to hold him?  does he need more middle or what?