American heifer question

Help Support Steer Planet:

jo

My son would like to start showing heifers (in Texas) & we're interested in the American breeds.  Just curious as to what is an ARB & also, what works for an ABC.  Does the ABC have to have registered parents or is like steers where they just have to look like a cross?  Thanks for your help.

DLB

ARB are papered american cattle....and the ABCs are crosses that must "classify" as an American Cross. 

crosecattle

Depends on what you are looking for.  I would be careful on purchasing an ARB due to the fact you cannot show at all the majors. (People can correct me if I'm wrong). I would look at purchasing a true american breed and try and stay away from ABC or ARB if you are wanting to show at all the majors.

The Show

I'd have to look it up, but I'm almost positive Ft. Worth doesn't show ARB or ABC in the junior show. I know they don't do ORB. I'm not sure about San Antonio and Houston. I know they do ORB, so you would think they would also do ARB and ABC. With that being said, your best bet is to go with something like a beefmaster, brahman, brangus, gert, etc...

TXSimmy

Like it has been stated in the posts above me Ft. Worth and San Antonio don't have ABC or ARB. Houston does, if you are looking for heifers to take i would stay pure bred. You can't go wrong with a Santa Gertrudis ;D

beefmasterboy24

Gerts. Just like every breed is a lot of politics. I know. I have a Santa Gertrudis cow with 60,000 miles and 100+ rings. Really the only breed that you dont hear a lot about politics is Simbrah. I know in 2010 one was thrown out bcuz it had papers but was 0% American. ABC's depend on the classifiers on that day. There are a lot of ABC's running that have as much American as I do Chinese. Also 0%. I would not suggest Beefmasters bcuz I showed them too and there r some questionable pure-breds. Brahmans too are a good breed for everyone 13+ years old. They are psycho's in the ring. I have seen a showring turn into a rodeo arena quickly.

Hope my ranting helps. <deadhorse>

TXSimmy

We don't run points with our gerts like yall do, we show at local, county, majors, and junior nationals. I have been to many of the tcca shows to watch and know that politics are a big part of it, and i've talked to your brother and I know yall have been on the wrong end of the politics in the gert breed which is wrong. There are only a limited number of families that bring a politics into the show, but there is that in every breed. We are no more political than any other breed.

simbman

I can testify to the great people in the Simbrah breed, since I have been either showing them or breeding them for the past fifteen years.  I personally recommend american breeds to my students that are just getting started because they perform better in my country and less maintenance.  Although all that hair on a calf is fun to play with every now and then.  Yes there are politics in every breed, a person would be naive to think otherwise.  In my experience you can figure out pretty quick those breeders who are in it for the kids, or just themselves.  Good honest people who are going to be a resource for my kids.  I have students showing Brangus, Red Brangus, Beefmaster, and Simbrah, and each have been happy they chose the breed they have.  I would be happy to give you some contacts, as I have my cattle bought for the year.

crosecattle

As an outsider looking in I would have to say Santa Gertrudis cattle have the least amount of politics if any at all.  The better ones will always win! Never seen a major champion win because of politics at all in the gert breed. This coming from my future in-laws being gert breeders.

Bradenh

Undisputed Champion said:
Gerts. Just like every breed is a lot of politics. I know. I have a Santa Gertrudis cow with 60,000 miles and 100+ rings. Really the only breed that you dont hear a lot about politics is Simbrah. I know in 2010 one was thrown out bcuz it had papers but was 0% American. ABC's depend on the classifiers on that day. There are a lot of ABC's running that have as much American as I do Chinese. Also 0%. I would not suggest Beefmasters bcuz I showed them too and there r some questionable pure-breds. Brahmans too are a good breed for everyone 13+ years old. They are psycho's in the ring. I have seen a showring turn into a rodeo arena quickly.

Hope my ranting helps. <deadhorse>
this topic was not about what breed has politics,,, you need to start your own post if you want to play the blame game. jo i refer to an abc as a 'pasture cross bred calf' because thats what the are down here since most cattle are american, if i had to tell you 2 pure breeds it would be simbrah or beefmaster. gerts are fine but the way the jr beefmaster organization is run is super professional and fun and i think that overall beefmasters are under rated after their show careers are over as real mama cows. jmo simbraveih is a new breed but i dont know anything about them besides no one shows them hardly

outlawcattlecompany

Please don't attach the politics of TCCA to the Santa Gertrudis breed. Participate in the National Jr. Santa Gertrudis Association and you'll find that isn't the case. I was president of the association for a year, I know. The politics in our breed are no worse than any other.