Ammonia smell in barn

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hilltop

Even with cleaning out the straw totally every couple of days we have a VERY strong smell of ammonia by later day in out little cool room.
At first thought it was some straw that had a lot of grain in it that was doing it, but changed straw bales and still smell is very strong.
Had our calves in a makeshift closed up room the last two years but never had any issue with smell before. New one is not totally air tight so am wondering if the high humidity makes it worse??
Does anyone know if there is ANYHTING that will counter the ammonia smell??? I can't do anymore than clean it out every day and hate to through out all the dry straw. Also wood chips are probably not an option for us for bedding here either!!

shortyjock89

I think your problem is the straw.  Also, make sure they're getting plenty of water during the day.  Might try to put down a couple inches of Lime under your bedding. 

Dozer45

go to your feed store and buy lime. you sprinkle a small amount on the floor. Lime is used to Neutralize the amonia. works great in horse stalls.

6M Ranch

Last several years we have been using "Sweet PDZ".  Almost totally eliminates the ammonia smell.  Doesn't take very much either.

KMJCC

Sprinkle the lime down under your bedding and then at night when you take your calves out and turn out leave the door to the coolr room open over night so it airs out.  Also it also maybe the straw.  We use wood chips from a tree trimming company.  Use some sticks in it but nothing you can;t pick out.

Hilltop

6M Ranch said:
Last several years we have been using "Sweet PDZ".  Almost totally eliminates the ammonia smell.  Doesn't take very much either.
What is "Sweet PDZ"?

vc

We use a product called CedaRest, it is only sold out west but is easy to ship. It is cedar fiber the consistency and size of rice. for a 8 by 12 areas I start with 15- 20 bags. we spread it thin, wet it, and pack it down, spread more and repeat. We do this until we have built it up  good. We add more as it gets removed with the manure.
If it gets to wet you can pull the real wet stuff out, hose it down real well and then let it dry, once it is dry you can use it again.
You could probable get a pallet load (40 bags) that would last you a long time.

http://www.cedarest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=93

advocate

Clean it to the floor put down sweet pdz then put woodchips on top that helps keep the smell out

Hilltop

justintime said:
If I had a nice new shiny barn like you have I wouldn't let no cows in it. No cows ... no ammonia smell... Problem solved!
JIT. When you build your new barn we will have it figured out and be able to tell you what works best. LOL!!!
Thanks to all for the help. Will use lime until we can get some Sweet PDZ.