Androgenized cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackdirt cowboy

I've got a group of cows up to A.I.  I've always used a spotter bull, but I've sold mine as it's been a number of years since I've done any A.I. work. I breed on natural heats, no synchronization. Does anyone know what the dosage of testosterone propionate is to turn an open cow into a spotter cow?

justintime

I used androgenized cows for several years, as gomers, and they were excellent, but we cannot buy testosterone anymore. It was cheap and a shot lasted about 2 weeks. I say ' about 2 weeks" as it seemed to vary between cows used. Some would ride cows for 10 days following a shot of testosterone, and some would last 14-17 days.
I wish we could still buy it but I guess they pulled it off the market because of the fear of being used by people wanting to add muscle.
After about 3 shots, I had some cows that would sound like bulls, paw dirt and herd the cows. They even started to crest up their necks. After breeding season was over I would quit the shots and turn them out on grass for a few weeks and they would return to being normal females. I always sent them to market after they had been used and the effects had completely wore off.
I can't remember exactly but I think I used to give about 3 cc IM to a cow. I would suggest you start at a low dose and bump it up until the cow is working properly.

knabe

If you have a group of cows, it's pretty easy to heat detect once in the am and once at pm. Add chalk or a patch and it's a breeze. I only started using chalk as an additional aid. After calving, I also write down cycles so you know when they are going to come in heat. Why do you need the spotter?

RyanChandler

justintime said:
I used androgenized cows for several years, as gomers, and they were excellent, but we cannot buy testosterone anymore. It was cheap and a shot lasted about 2 weeks. I say ' about 2 weeks" as it seemed to vary between cows used. Some would ride cows for 10 days following a shot of testosterone, and some would last 14-17 days.

After about 3 shots, I had some cows that would sound like bulls, paw dirt and herd the cows. They even started to crest up their necks.

I can't remember exactly but I think I used to give about 3 cc IM to a cow.

The half life of test propionate is only 2 days.  That means at 300mg -(3) 100mg CC's-,  between 10-11 days after the injection, the active test levels were back to where they were prior.  Honestly, I'm surprised you noticed any difference in their behavior at that low of a dosage. 

justintime

-XBAR- said:
justintime said:

After about 3 shots, I had some cows that would sound like bulls, paw dirt and herd the cows. They even started to crest up their necks.

I can't remember exactly but I think I used to give about 3 cc IM to a cow.

The half life of test propionate is only 2 days.  That means at 300mg -(3) 100mg CC's-,  between 10-11 days after the injection, the active test levels were back to where they were prior.  Honestly, I'm surprised you noticed any difference in their behavior at that low of a dosage.

I'm not sure what the half life was, but I could buy a 20 cc bottle for about $10-12 and I would have enough to give 2 cows shots twice. This would have been about 10 years ago, as it is banned for sale here now. I used it for many years and it worked great!

blackdirt cowboy

Testosterone propionate is an ingredient in synovex h implants. It's still also widely used in the race horse industry on castrated horses. A good vet can get you some as it is prescription only, but it's not cheap. Certainly cheaper than keeping a spotter bull around. Thanks justintime for the dosage recommendation. I'll try that and see if it works.

RyanChandler

justintime said:
I'm not sure what the half life was, but I could buy a 20 cc bottle for about $10-12 and I would have enough to give 2 cows shots twice. This would have been about 10 years ago, as it is banned for sale here now. I used it for many years and it worked great!

Wow!  You'll pay $10-12/cc for it today.  If you're interested, there's kits available to convert those Synovex H pellets into an injectable solution. 

GoWyo

Don't the meathead body builders cook Synovex H implants to make steriods?  :eek:

blackdirt cowboy

I read a university of Kentucky study today that said you can give a cow 1 synovex h implant per 100 lbs of body weight. It said the affects last 6 months, but the cow is no longer usable in your breeding herd. At less than $1 per implant, this my be the way to go. Implant a cow that you are going to cull anyway and sell her when you're done.

Duncraggan

GoWyo said:
Don't the meathead body builders cook Synovex H implants to make steriods?  :eek:
You could set up a beef stand at the local gym and make a fortune! <beer>

GoWyo

Duncraggan said:
GoWyo said:
You could set up a beef stand at the local gym and make a fortune! <beer>

Have to see if my vet will write an ELDU script for big muscles.

RyanChandler

GoWyo said:

Synovex H is a steroid - it is Testosterone Propionate w/ a little estradiol

I've heard of guys buying the Synovex C thinking it was the same-  (lol)  progesterone induced gyno isn't pretty 

Latest posts